General discussion

Windows 2000 Server loses shares after re-boot

By ramirezr ·
Our file server loses its shares whenever it is re-booted. We have the daunting task of re-sharing each personal folder when this happens.
Please advise.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Windows 2000 Server loses ...

i have never heard of your exact problem in my experience which makes me wish to clarify your symptoms. i would like to ask you to more exactly the steps you take to recover when this happens: what do you in detail by re-shareing each personal folder? are you using roaming profiles. does this happen to all users or only some. (How do you know you have the problem? from not being able to access share across network or by walking up to server and seeing the shares be gone? )you are saying, you have a win2k domain? and this is the ad or dc server? and it used to work fine? and now when it reboots all the 'shares' go bye bye? do any remain? and these shared resources physically exist on this server, yes? and exactly how, what type of drive?
one thing i would have a quick look at is the permissions on the registry entries where the share info is saved.
here is an excerpt from support.microsoft.com mskb article 'Saveing and Restoring Windows shares

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to

(I found the final paragraph here very interesting)
<snip>
To save only the existing share names and their permissions on Windows follow these steps.

NOTE: This procedure applies only to NetBIOS shares and not to Macintosh volumes. 1. On the existing Windows installation that contains the share names and permissions that you want to save, start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. From the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following key:
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares
3. Save or export the registry key.? For Windows NT and Windows 2000, click Save Key on the Registry menu.
? For Windows Server 2003, click Export on the File menu.

4. Type a new file name (a file extension is not necessary), and then save the file to a floppy disk.
5. Reinstall Windows.
6. Run Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
7. From the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following key:
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares
8. Restore or import the registry key.

? For Windows NT and Windows 2000, click Restore on the Registry menu.
? For Windows Server 2003, click Export on the File menu.

9. Type the path and file name of the file that you saved in steps 3 and 4.

CAUTION: This step overrides the shares that already exist on the Windows computer with the share names and permissions that exist in the file you are restoring. You are warned about this before you restore the key.
10. Restart the server.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to

NOTE: After you complete this procedure, if you decide that you should not have restored the Shares key, restart the computer and press the SPACEBAR to use the last known good configuration. After you restore the shares key, the shares can be used by network clients. If you run the net shares command on the server, the server displays the shares; however, File Manager does not display the shares. To make File Manager aware of the newly restored shares, create any new share on the server. File Manager displays all of the other shares after you restart the server or stop and restart the Server service.
</snip>

Collapse -

by ramirezr In reply to Windows 2000 Server loses ...

sgt_shultz:

RE-SHARING EACH FOLDER ALLOWS OUR USERS TO ACCESS THEIR PERSONAL DATA.
WE ARE NOT USING ROAMING PROFILES.
WE HAVE A PROBLEM, BECAUSE IF THE PERSONAL FOLDERS ARE NOT RE-SHARED, USERS CANNOT ACCESS THEIR PERSONAL DRIVES (PERSONAL DATA).
SHARES ARE VISIBLY UN-SHARED AFTER RE-BOOT AT THE PHYSICAL SERVER.
WE HAVE A WINDOWS 2000 SERVER DOMAIN. THIS IS NOT A DC SERVER. WE ARE AN ORGANIZATIONAL UNIT UNDER THE NATIONAL UMBRELLA LOCATED IN CHICAGO.
OUR NATIONAL UMBRELLA IS IN WASHINGTON D.C.
IT USED TO WORK FINE UNTIL WE MIGRATED FROM WINDOWS NT SERVER TO WINDOWS 2000 SERVER AND BECAME AN OU IN AN ACTIVE DIRECTORY INFRASTRUCTURE.
YES, WHEN WE RE-BOOT THIS SERVER, THE SHARES GO BYE-BYE. THEIR GONE, PHYSICALLY AT THE SERVER. USERS LOSE THEIR CONNECTION TO THEIR PERSONAL DRIVE. WE ALSO LOSE CONNECTION TO OUR APPLICATION (UTILITY) FOLDER WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO BE SHARED AS WELL.
INTERESTINGLY, A FEW USER PERSONAL SHARES REMAIN.
WE HAVEN'T DOCUMENTED THOSE, SINCE WE HAVEN'T RE-BOOTED SERVER FOR SOME TIME.

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)