Question

Windows 2000 Server Maximum Concurrent Logins

By jason ·
I set up a Windows 2000 server with 10CALs on the license in a VPN-accessible scenario. We have not had 10 different clients connect to the envrionment yet, however when more than two users with admin rights try and connect to the server they get the following message:

"The system cannot log you on.
The system has reached its licensed login limit."

Each user is connecting via VPN and then using remote desktop to access the server. Can anyone help explain this issue and offer some suggestions to enable more concurrent sessions? Thanks very much in advance for any thoughts.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Limit remote desktop administrator

by leirags In reply to Windows 2000 Server Maxim ...

Think on this way, this explanation are for windows 2000, only one "administrator" can use the remote desktop. As you see on windows 2000 only one connection are enable via remote-desktop. I test this.

On windwso 2003 the Remote Desktop are limited to the users CALs.

Try to install programs localy on the remote machines and configure to use the VPN like a network to arrise the data. Or install w2k3.

Collapse -

Thank you

by jason In reply to Limit remote desktop admi ...

Thanks very much for the reply and suggestion. I'll play with the user adminstation rights today per your suggestions and see if I can alleviate the issues. Thanks again.

Collapse -

You need Terminal Services CALS for Client RDP

by 1bn0 In reply to Windows 2000 Server Maxim ...

Windows server coms with a built in 2 client license for remote administration. e.g. 2 administrators can connect to the machine.

To allow users to access the machine via VPN and "Remote Desktop" you must install Windows Terminal Services and an appropriate number of WTS CALS.

Remote Desktop is a down scaled version of Terminal Services. IT is used on XPPro desktops to allow remote use of the machine, only one user at a time. it logs out the console session if there is one.

On the server a two licence version is installed by default ONLY for remote administration.

Collapse -

Well explained

by jason In reply to You need Terminal Service ...

Thanks for taking the time to explain the detail of TS versus RD. I spent too much time enjoying UNIX so my venture into Windows left me without a formal understanding of some default settings. Thanks for detailing all the relevant info and for helping me understand this completely.

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)