General discussion

Windows 2000 Server patch gone bad

By Daniel C. ·
I have a win2000 server (with SP2) patched. I tried to apply the SP2SR1 patch. While it is running the patch, it complained that it could not successfully copy "dhcpssvc.dll" and "kernel32.dll".

I foolishly asked the process to skip the two files and to go on. Well, now I can't boot the server back up.

It restarts itself in an endless loop at the windows startup screen. This happens under all circumstances (safe mode, safe mode with prompt, last known good config, etc).

How can I resolve this situation? Can I reinstall the OS at the same directory and repatch? Can I resolve it without having to reinstall the OS? Please help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by quintar51 In reply to Windows 2000 Server patch ...

I know you can uninstall SP2 if you backup the system files, but regarding sp2sr1, I don't know if you can.

If you just reinstall to the same directory, some dll files will not be registered with the recently installed system files. I've had this happen where I would run the Emergency Repair Process, but then all of my applications would not work and needed to be reinstalled.

I would just reinstall 2000 fresh and then restore from a recent backup.

hope that helps you out.

Collapse -

by Daniel C. In reply to Windows 2000 Server patch ...

Sorry, everyone knows to reinstall the OS. I am looking for a better solution. Thanks.

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Windows 2000 Server patch ...

This was from the Windows 2000 Security Rollup Package, January, 2002, right?
Well, if you have Recovery Console installed on the Win2K box, you could boot into it, and repair the system. You could go to the folder made by the SR1 install (called C:\WINNT\$NTUninstallSP2SRP1) and recover the 2 files, replacing the SRP1 versions with these two backup versions.
If not, boot off the Win2K CD and choose the Repair option. See what that does.

hope this helps

Collapse -

I was able to restore my server with your suggestion. Thanks.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)