General discussion

Windows 2000 server reconfiguration

By kaj_ny ·
I have a Windows 2000 server, running Active Directory in its own domain (I inherited this mess). I want to kill Active Directory for now, and move the server to the correct domain. Is there a way I can do this safely, or am I looking at the obligatory rebuild? The other domain is currently an NT 4.0 domain and we aren't looking to migrate to Active Directory for quite some time.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to Windows 2000 server recon ...

Unlike NT4, in Win2K, changing a servers role does not require a rebuild.

Running dcpromo from the "run" window will demote the server from domain controller to member server, and since this is the last (only) DC in the domain, it will also delete the domain.

You can then join the server to the NT4 domain as you would an NT4 member server.

Don't forget, you can't use a Win2K server as a BDC in an NT4 domain. Also don't forget, that when you get around to migrating to Active Directory, the NT4 PDC must be the first server migrated.

Hope this answers your question.

Collapse -

by kaj_ny In reply to Windows 2000 server recon ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by techrepublic In reply to Windows 2000 server recon ...

you can do this from going to start run and typing in dcpromo. Just follow the wizard which will guide you through the process. After demoting the server and a few reboots just run dcpromo again if you want to to run ad again on this server or just join the domain. Any questions please contact me

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)