General discussion

Windows 2000 Server redundancy

By kwan ·
How can I setup an additional Windows 2000 Server machine to automatically kick in when the Primary Windows 2000 Server failed and also have all updated information from the Primary before it crushed? Any help is welcome.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Monice In reply to Windows 2000 Server redun ...

In a Windows 2000 AD environment there are no seperate Primary and Backup domain controllers. There are just domain controllers. If you have an Active Directory domain with one DC, intall another Win2k server into the domain and run dcpromo. Make sure both servers are set up as global catalog servers. Now the first DC will hold all the Master Roles, but if it fails you can seize these roles on the 2nd DC and all is well.

Collapse -

by kwan In reply to Windows 2000 Server redun ...

Thanks, but what if I have some applications and files that users put onto that PDC. Those wouldn't be current, right?

Collapse -

by HuckleberryHound In reply to Windows 2000 Server redun ...

Answer #1 is fine for Active Directory Domain Controllers. If you are talking about a Windows 2000 server running some particaluar application then you need to use Clustering from Windows 2000 Advanced Server. In the classic implementation of clustering you have two servers, one active and one passive both connected to some kind of shared storage device. The passive machine sits there and watches the active machine and if the active machine stops responding then the passive machine autmatically assumes the identity of the failed system and since both servers are sharing the same storage device then all of the data is current.

Collapse -

This sounds good, but then I have to invest on the Advanced Server and additional storage device. Is there a way I could get the job done without changing the operating system (Win2k Server) or/and adding more hardware?

Collapse -

by HuckleberryHound In reply to Windows 2000 Server redun ...

You might want to consider something like DoubleTake. It will run on the regular version of Windows 2000 server and does not require shared storage. I am using it to "cluster" a couple of SQL servers that are geographically separated but it works if the machines are local to each other also.
http://www.nsisoftware.com

Collapse -

Thanks for the suggestion. I eval the software and it works well with member servers but it doesn't work with domain controllers because of the Active Directory FSMO.

Collapse -

by R. A. Caluste In reply to Windows 2000 Server redun ...

Go with Answer 1. Create a separate file server (or check out network attached storages) for the applications and data (make sure you implement raid on this). That way, should the primary server go down and a child domain kicks in, the applications and data are not lost since its on a separate machine.

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)