General discussion

Windows 2000 Server Start Button Sticks

By KyBullitt ·
I have two different servers (different locations) that are domain controllers on a simple 1-server network. Both have Windows 2000 Server as their operating system. I am having a problem with the start button sticking in and not doing anything.
This is occurring ramdomly. When this happens, I can only fix it by restarting the server, then it may stay working for 4,5,6,10 days before it happens again. I have reviewed article Q262076 and have not had this fix the problem. I also have thelatest Microsoft service packs and security fixes applied.

Any suggestions?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by tke402 In reply to Windows 2000 Server Start ...

What's the hardware like on the server? Do you have enought RAM how about the processor? When the server is working is it running at capacity? If so a hardware upgrade might help you out.

Collapse -

by KyBullitt In reply to Windows 2000 Server Start ...

One server is an IBM, 1.13Ghz PIII, non-raid 36GB, 384MB RAM, only has 5 users. Utilization is very low.

Other server is a clone machine, 733MHz, 256MB RAM, 18GB RAID 5, has 20 users, and utilization is low.

Both servers also run SQL server, IBM - SQL 2000, Clone - Version 7.0

Collapse -

by Ann777 In reply to Windows 2000 Server Start ...

check the following:

http://www.jsiinc.com/subg/tip3200/rh3227.htm

http://www.jsiinc.com/subf/tip2900/rh2913.htm

Collapse -

I reviewed this and it is the same information that is in Microsoft article Q262076 - as stated before this does not fix the problem.

Collapse -

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by MikeLazz In reply to Windows 2000 Server Start ...

What is your virtual memeory setting? It should be 1.5 x RAM. How long do you wait? When this happens are there any runaway processes in task manager? Is it Rundll32?

Collapse -

Virtual memory settings are correct. No runaway processes. Machine is running normally other than the button sticking.

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)