General discussion

Windows 2000 shared folders disappear

By admbyr ·
This is a bizzare problem. I have a 2000 pro machine running a shared app from a few shared folders. The shared folders have "unshared" themselves. Even when I re-share the folder, the share disappears after about a minute. It has to be a virus. I have all service packs up to date and even reinstalled file and print sharing. Any help would be apprecieated

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Could be a virus; But difficult to tell for sure

by Bill Detwiler Editor In reply to Windows 2000 shared folde ...

Admbyr,

Some viruses/Trojans/worms can disable, or "unshare", shares such as Admin$, C$, ipc$, print$, My Documents, Shared Docs, A$ to Z$, and the like on Windows systems. Unfortunately it is difficult to tell whether a virus is causing the problem or which virus it might be without more information.

Sdbot, Delsha, Randex, Netzer, and Zcrew, are just a few of the possible causes.

You should update your antivirus software and perform a full system as soon as possible.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 shared folders disappear

by peter In reply to Windows 2000 shared folde ...

I have exacly the same problrm again like you my system is upto date in both service packs and antivirus, however i did fine a backdoor virus called backdoor.malpay, even when removed this still did not solve the problem..

Collapse -

You are definitely infected...

by Fat Chink In reply to Windows 2000 shared folde ...

Start with TrojanHunter, Spybot S&D, Adaware SE 1.05, CWShredder.

I spent 2 days cleaning up a dual server network last month, only to have it become reinfected overnight, cleaned it up again, then found out the accounting software people had put one of the servers on the DMZ without telling anyone. What a major screwup that was...

Symptoms were exactly the same, folder & printer shared suddenly disappear.

Note: the accounting company tech's could not figure out how to open ports for VNC so they could do remote support, so they decided it would be ok to put the server on the DMZ. Glad this was not my direct client, I was just sub-contracted to fix the problem. If it were my client, I would have driven to the accounting software company and strangled their techs....

Back to Malware Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)