General discussion

Windows 2000 shutdown problem

By bthomas1961 ·
I have a Windows 2000 Professional computer that doesn't shut down the way my old Windows computers used to. It just pauses not letting me move the mouse or use the keyboard or anything. I have to restart or turn off the power. Can this be fixed or will I have to reload Windows?

Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to Windows 2000 shutdown pro ...

The following is an excerpt from "Windows 2000 Shutdown Issues".

If your system powered itself down after a shutdown in Win98, it may or may not function correctly under Windows 2000. Microsoft's standard for power management is ACPI. During installation, your hardware is checked against the Auto-Enable ACPI list. If its there, ACPI is enabled and an ACPI tab is present in the Power Options tool in Control Panel. There is a Disable ACPI list. If your computer is found in that list, ACPI support is not installed and there is no ACPI tab. ACPI is a newer standard than APM. Unless you computer is relatively new, it will not be ACPI compatible. W2K compatibility tests are more rigourous than Win9x tests. If ACPI compatibility is not present, W2K installation will attempt to install APM drivers. There is an Auto-Enable APM list and a APM disable list. If your computer does not appear in either list, it is considered neutral. Your PC is not tested for APM support, the APM tab is present but APM is not enabled. If its on the Auto-Enable APM list, APM is enabled and there should be an APM tab. If your computer is on the Disable APM list, there will be no APM tab and APM support will not be installed. (this will also happen if APM BIOS support is turned off during install) If your PC does not power off after a shutdown (or reboots), the first thing to check is whether there is an APM tab under Power Options in Control Panel. If there is not, your PC was in the APM disable list and your options are to get a newer BIOS from the motherboard manufacturer or get a motherboard on Microsoft's compatibility list. If the APM tab is there, you may be in luck. Your PC fell into the neutral list and APM support is installed but disabled. To test whether APM works: In Control Panel, double-click Power Options. On the APM tab, click Enable Advanced Power Management Support.

(continued..)

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to Windows 2000 shutdown pro ...

If this does not work for you, APM support may be turned off in Device Manager.

In Device Manager, select View, show hidden devices.

Under NT APM/legacy support, check NT APM/legacy interface node.

Enable node if disabled.

If this doesn't fit your setup, a number of W2K users are solving their shutdown problems by uninstalling a hidden device driver for TPkd.

-----

See this link for the rest of the article:

http://is-it-true.org/nt/nt2000/atips/atips42.shtml
(REMOVE SPACES from the pasted URL)

Maxwell

Collapse -

by bthomas1961 In reply to Windows 2000 shutdown pro ...
Collapse -

by bthomas1961 In reply to Windows 2000 shutdown pro ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)