General discussion

Windows 2000 Shutdown Problem

By bfeltus ·
I receive the following when I shut down windows 2000 Pro:

End Program - Power Meter. I have to click "end now" twice before the computer shuts down. This started happening after we applied the latest windows 2000 updates. Other workstations are experiencing the same thing. How can I fix. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Windows 2000 Shutdown Pro ...

Use Task Manager to Identify the Cause of the Shutdown Behavior

Use Task Manager to determine the programs that are currently running on the computer. For each program that is listed in Task Manager, manually quit the program, and then shut down and restart the computer to test if the shutdown problem is resolved. To do this, follow the procedure that is described in this section.

NOTE : All programs that are currently running on the computer may not be listed in the Applications tab of Task Manager.
Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then click Task Manager .

Click the Applications tab.

In the Task column, click the program that you want to quit, and then click End Task .

Quit Task Manager.

Shut down the computer.

Collapse -

by bfeltus In reply to

No programs are running in task managers.

Collapse -

by Coolflip In reply to Windows 2000 Shutdown Pro ...

Sound like your on a laptop. When you ran an update from the Microsoft Site, did you update the drivers there too. If so, then that was your main mistake. You should only use the Microsoft site to update your system with the security updates and some other ones that pertain to a certain problem your having. Never update any drivers from the that site. Depending your laptop vendor, you should update from their website. I ran into several issues before when I tried to update drivers from the Microsoft update site. Now I only download security updates.

To fix you problem with the power meter. I would either disable the meter through the control panel or go back to the manufacturer's site to redownload the drivers.

Collapse -

by bfeltus In reply to

On a desktop

Collapse -

by shripalkkad In reply to Windows 2000 Shutdown Pro ...

Hi,

This may happen if the power meter is running while you try to shutdown. If your Power does not shutdown automatically, either you can go to task manager and kill the program or please uninstall and reinstall the software once again.

Regards,
Shriram.v

Collapse -

by bfeltus In reply to

Powermeter does not show up in task manager. Cannot find where to uninstall. Started showing up after windows update.

Collapse -

by pierrejamme In reply to Windows 2000 Shutdown Pro ...

Is this a Thinkpsd, if so see:
http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-40400

Collapse -

by bfeltus In reply to

Not a thinkpad. Micron desktop. Also happening on dell desktop after user updated.

Collapse -

by bfeltus In reply to Windows 2000 Shutdown Pro ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)