General discussion

Windows 2000 shuts off for no reason

By infosystems ·
When I try to use outlook express mail, about 90% of the time my windows 2000 machine completely shuts off...What could be causing this problem? All I do is double click on the outlook express icon or if by chance i can actually enter the program, i may be able to click on compose new message or something and then all of a sudden my machine will shut off. Please help!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Simon@SRN In reply to Windows 2000 shuts off fo ...

Firstly the problem your having is almost certainly hardware related. I don't know of any problems like yours related to software.

So, what piece of hardware could it be?

The two most likey supects are the modem or the CPU overheating.

To check the CPU temp, go straight into the BIOS after it restarts. The temperature that certain chips can take varys, but over 50 oC is bad. CANNOT be this if u got a P4, they will not over heat & crash.

I have had exactly the same prob with my modem. When on the internet it would just reset after a random ammoun of time. Was caused by the PCI card slowly creeping out of the slot.

As a final point, check event viewer. If you see now errors except possibly a memory dump then it definatly hardware.

Have fun :)

Collapse -

by infosystems In reply to Windows 2000 shuts off fo ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by casta In reply to Windows 2000 shuts off fo ...

You may want to check besides the hardware itself, look at the app. and make sure that is configured properly, and that you have Outlook Express setup as your default mail manager. I would get rid off other email applications if they are not being used.And also I would suggest to check your Service packs, and if necessary reinstall Outlook Express. I hope this helps.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)