General discussion

Windows 2000 slow file access

By rpv ·
I have just installed a Windows 2000 file server with SP4, and when I try to access any data file it acts like it has hung and then opens the file. (20-30 seconds later) Most workstations are WinXP.

I had Windows NT 4.0 Server with WinXP workstations and it opened the files within a few seconds.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your help.
Rick

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

How funny happening to part of my network too

by Chris.. In reply to Windows 2000 slow file ac ...

I'm finding this to be a browse issue on my side. Make sure you client machine has the correct WINS address.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you use a UNC path name like this \\server IP\share
e.g.
\\192.168.1.1\shares

Collapse -

This might help

by ITRFGUY In reply to How funny happening to pa ...

This has been an ongoing issue in windows where the browser function looks for scheduled tasks to run. Brian Livingston has covered this in his columns a few times. Check out Briansbuzz.com for some good tips....

Browse Windows 2000 and 98 faster
Reader John Kehoe reports on an easy way to speed up your browsing of Windows 98 and Windows Me from Windows 2000 machines.

It turns out that you can experience a delay as long as 30 seconds when you try to view shared files across a local network from Windows 2000. For example, this delay would effect your search if you:

1. Right-click the My Network Places icon on your Windows 2000 desktop, click Search For Computers, and search for a Windows 98 or Windows Me computer name; or

2. Click Start, Run, and then type \\computername in reference to a Windows 98 or Windows Me machine.

Microsoft confirms this is a problem in Windows 2000. See support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q245/8/00.asp. The problem doesn't occur when browsing directly to a named computer share, just when using the computer name as shown above.

Windows 2000 is using the extra time to search the remote computer for Scheduled Tasks, a slow and unnecessary process. Kehoe provides a work-around that dramatically speeds things up.

Step 1. In Windows 2000, click Start, Run, type regedt32, and click OK.

Step 2. In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following branch: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace.

Step 3. Under that branch, select the key {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}. This key instructs Windows Explorer to search for Scheduled Tasks. If you wish, pull down the Registry menu and click Save Key to back up this value. Name the output file, say, Scheduled.reg, and you can easily restore the key if necessary.

Step 4. Delete the key and close the Registry Editor.

This change takes effect immediately and doesn't require a reboot, so you can determine how much it speeds up the process.

You can fix XP's slow discovery of other computers
In the June 19 issue of Brian's Buzz, I reported on Alan Chattaway's success in solving Windows XP's extreme slowness in copying files to (and printing to printers attached to) non-XP computers. The cure involved replacing a network hub with a switch.

Reader John Meyer was also quoted in that same issue, describing XP's slow-file problem in his own words. After I printed Alan's comments on his cure, John sent me a deeper analysis of the difficulty, which the hub-to-switch switcheroo merely hides:

"As your reader, Alan Chattaway, pointed out, the problem did not exist until he upgraded to XP. The change from hub to switch is probably simply causing some threshold to be reached that masks the underlying problem.

"In a similar vein, a few people have reported that changing the NIC [network interface card] also cures the problem, even though there was no problem using the same computer/NIC combination prior to upgrading to XP.

"Thus, the packet fragmentation is being caused by something in the way that XP interacts with a 98 machine, and he hasn't really gotten to the bottom of why this happens only between XP and 98/Me, nor has he provided a real solution, if indeed there is one. This is not meant to be a knock, but simply to point out that we don't really know yet what is going on, or how to fix it in software.

"I'm not a Microsoft conspiracy kind of guy, but several people who have posted online comments about this problem take the position that Microsoft intentionally slows down interaction with older Windows computers to force everyone to upgrade to XP."

Conspiracy theories aside, an enormous amount of interest was generated among my readers by a different comment by John that I'd printed in the June 19 issue. Describing the XP file slowdown that Alan had managed to solve, John said in passing:

"This is a different problem from the slow browsing problem, where it takes XP a long time to 'discover' computers on the network. That problem can be fixed with a Registry change."

I received scores of messages from readers who were plagued with XP's slow-discovery problem and were desperate for the Registry change, which they'd never managed to find on their own. Here's John's description of the fix:

"The problem itself [as it affects Windows 2000 discovery] is documented in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 245800 (although MS provides no solution).

"Slow discovery of other computers is just as widespread as the more serious performance issue [of XP's file slowness], but is easily fixed. The fix is well documented in many different forums. It involves going to the following section of the XP registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / Microsoft / Windows / Current Version / Explorer / RemoteComputer / NameSpace

and then deleting the key

{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

"This solution is described in many places, including Earth Village, Experts-Exchange, and Practically Networked."

Deleting the registry key that John describes has the effect of disabling Scheduled Tasks. This is a process that Windows 2000 and XP use to search remote computers to see if they have any pre-scheduled events. That's a nice idea, but few people use it and the search slows down Windows Explorer by up to 30 seconds. Deleting the key eliminates this delay and also speeds up both Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer in general.

Collapse -

Get Red Hat

by allisonmea In reply to Windows 2000 slow file ac ...

Don't waste your life with Microsoft's frustrating krap. Learn Linux and Live.

Back to IT Employment Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)