General discussion

Windows 2000 term server

By EPAIT ·
Hi,

I run two separate Novell LANs. One has a Novell 5.0 servr and the other a Novell 4.11 server. Presently I access all my Win 95/98/XP desktops to troubleshoot and perform installations with a remote software called RAdmin. I am testing the product and trying to get my company to purchase the corp license. My company is leaning towards converting to Windows Terminal server enviroment. My company wants to know if purchasing the remote product now would be a duplication of what Win 2000 terminal server has. From my research I don't think you can reboot or shutdown or install local apps to desktops with Win 2000 Terminal server. I don't have expirence with Term server except for what I have read. I would appreciate some help so I can can hopefully get my company to purchase the remote software I am using presently. The remote software will also work with Win Nt and 2000 clients.

thanks,
Rob

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Windows 2000 term server

by falloutboy In reply to Windows 2000 term server

Firstly, you will have to beef up your current server environment (to ****) to run all your clients on terminal server. Add up the ram and cpu of all your clients, and multiply by the percentage of time you estimate your users are active ( 10%? 25? 50? who knows?) - this should give you a (large) number. Most people are clustering 1 or 3U rackmount servers as the SOTA solution at present. Secondly you can use Netmeeting for remote admin mainly cause it is a free MS download and comes with Win2k(I just posted a how-to for that). XP has it's own version built in, the name escapes me. When you run the TermServ client on your PC, you access what has been set up on your TermServer for you to see, nothing else. However, you can still access thesoftware on your PC because unless you lock the client down, the termserver client software is just another local App. When you install Win2k server, you can then load the Termserver from CD. There are two modes - a 2 user "remote admin" option which is free, or the full product which you must licence. If you don't have all your people on Termserver (like me) you get to administer the server for free. However, you see a virtual machine, not the real server console, so function is limited. As Dirty Harry said, you gotta ask yourself, exactly what is trying to be achieved here? Who and why are they "leaning towards" termserver? TCO/thin client considerations? many many $$$$$$$ involved if the project is poorly thought out or inplimented. I have seen thin client projects bomb badly and the guys closest to the coalface are the ones caught in the explosion. !!!!!

Collapse -

Windows 2000 term server

by EPAIT In reply to Windows 2000 term server

Thanks for info

Collapse -

Windows 2000 term server

by EPAIT In reply to Windows 2000 term server

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)