General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Windows 2000 Term Services

by wood_jared ·

How do I set up a terminal services connection to run via dial-up?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by dklippert ·

In reply to Windows 2000 Term Services

One of these articles should have the information you need. Type the Q number in the search box at support.microsoft.com.

How to Use a Modem with Terminal Services

Q270857

HOW TO: Configure Terminal Services for Remote AdministrationQ300847

How to Install Remote Access Service

Q171267

by Anonymous ·

Setup RAS on the server, and allow for local authentication/access.

by chris_2004 ·

More to the point, article located here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q270857

by j’jeremy ·

Your question is a bit vague so I’d like you to answer a few questions first…

Have you got your TS box servicing clients on it’s LAN?

Is it a member server of an Domain? NT4, 2K…?

Is it config’d for App Mode or Remote Admin? Is it a DC?

Do you have a RAS device for aaa onto the network? Is it working for other services?

Once you’ve answered these questions I’ll try and get a little more specific.

Ova

by j’jeremy ·

Wooooow!!!!!!! You’re not talking about the server are you…….. duh!

Does the connection work on the LAN?

If so then run you’re dial up then once your aaa’d onto the network run your connection.

Alt. write a batch file

by wood_jared ·

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

by mr. ezekial transistor ·

You do not specify if you are the client or server or if it is already installed or not so I will assume server and installed. Dial-up or network it is stil basically the same only you may have to disable IPSEC. RAS setting Allow Access to client phone number. Set callback or profiles if you use them. Terminal services tab to set options like times allowed to logon and desktop settings etc. Use Enviornment, Sessions and Remote control tab to alter settings like printers, time limits etc. To manage your Terminal Services use Terminal Services Manager console. It can modify connection settings, encryption etc. If Windows to Windows Server and Client need TCP/IP installed, if to Novell use IPX. To deploy clients use Terminal Services Client Creator from Admin Tools to make an image to install via floppy. You must enable a license within 90 days of enabling the services or it will lock up.

by maxwell edison ·

First you’ll need to install the terminal services:

To do so, open the server’s Control Panel and double click on the Add / Remove Programs icon. When the Add / Remove Programs window opens click on the Add / Remove Windows Components button. Doing so opens the Windows Components Wizard. (I should mention that when I performed this operation on my servers, several of the machines appeared to ignore the click of the Windows Setup button. In actuality, however, the Windows Setup Wizard had opened in the background. I was able to access the wizard by simply closing the Add / Remove Programs button.)

When the wizard opens, you’ll see a long list of optional Windows 2000 components. Scroll through the list until you find the Terminal Services. Once you locate the Terminal Services, select the check box next to it and then select the check box next to Terminal Services Licensing. Now, click the Next button to begin installing the necessary terminal service components. At this point, the wizard will ask you if you want to install the terminal services in Remote Administration Mode or in Application Server Mode.

Configure Remote Administration:

Since you asked about remote access, select the option for Remote Administration and click the Next button. Now, the wizard will ask you some questions about the location of the location and role of the license server. Unless you have compelling reason to change these values, I recommend using the defaults. When you’ve completed this section, click Next to continue. Windows 2000 will now ask you to insert your Windows 2000 installation media. After copying a few files, the wizard will inform you that the terminal services have been installed, and will ask you to reboot your server.

(continued…)

by maxwell edison ·

To configure your terminal server client:

There are a wide variety of clients available for the Windows 2000 Terminal services. For example, you can install a terminal server client on a machine that’s running Windows 2000, Windows 98, or even Windows CE. If you lack the ability to connect directly to the machine that’s running the terminal services, you can even use a Web based terminal server client. Regardless of which type of client that you plan to use, however, one thing holds true. There must be a usable TCP/IP route between the terminal client and the terminal server.

Since you didn’t mention which client you’re using, I’ll stop at this point.

However, if you’re using a Windows 2000 client, follow the instructions on this link:

“Create a dial-up connection in Windows 2000”

http://www.windows2000faq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=14711

(REMOVE SPACES from the pasted URL.)

Good luck,

Maxwell

by wood_jared ·

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

by r. a. caluste ·

I am using terminal services via dial-up from home. The easiest way is to download the Terminal Services Advanced Client (http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/recommended/TSAC/default.asp) and install it in the Terminal Services Server (should have IIS installed for it to work). To quote MS:

“The Terminal Services Advanced Client (TSAC) is a Win32?-based ActiveX? control (COM object) that can be used to run Terminal Services sessions within Microsoft Internet Explorer”

So assoon as I connect via dialup to my server from my home, i simply launch my web browser and enter http://servername/tsweb. I enter my TS server name and run it full screen. It works fine for me 🙂

by russell ashe ·

Hi,
      There are a few thing you need to let us know before we reallcan help you.

What type of system is the user directory on?

If Win 2000 Is Active Directory integrated with the DNS services?

How many users are going to be using this service?

There are others once these are defined.

russell@capital-technologies.com

by wood_jared ·

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Viewing 8 reply threads