General discussion

Windows 2000 Term Srv. unexpected reboot

By abarr ·
A couple of our Windows 2000 Terminal Server machines unexpectedly reboot in the middle of the day, any idea why???

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by NTOz In reply to Windows 2000 Term Srv. un ...

Generaly this happens when the hardware hits a "Hard Error" from which it cannot recover. Its also true in software when you get a "Blue Screen Of Death" and its set to automaticaly reboot after it dumps memory to a file. Im not sure if you actualy see it reboot, during this time you get the "Blue Screen of Death". If your getting a Blue Screen of Death" and a reboot, I would turn off the autoreboot check box so I could at least see what the error is. If its happening on more then one box, I would be willing to bet, its an issue related to some common hardware in which Windows 2000 doesnt like. I would check to make sure my hardware was on the HCL from microsoft in addition. Finaly check the hardware level error logs. If you are getting a software "Blue Screen of death", sysinternals makes a great tool in which it will capture the screen and write it to a file so you can make it available for development troubleshooting. It beats writeing down the huge page of symbols and prevents youfrom mis transcribing it. MAKE SURE YOUR HARDWARE IS SUPPORTED before calling Microsoft because if it is not, you will not get the support you expected.

Pete

Collapse -

by NTOz In reply to Windows 2000 Term Srv. un ...

One more thing, It also can be a common driver that Windows 2000 doesnt like thats on more then one system, again if its a softerror, or harderror makes a difference.

Collapse -

by abarr In reply to Windows 2000 Term Srv. un ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by rlardinois In reply to Windows 2000 Term Srv. un ...

Are you using any Hewlett Packard printer drivers? A number of drivers provided by HP have been known to cause a Terminal Server to blue screen.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)