General discussion

Windows 2000 vs NetBios Share Caching

By Aaron_Wurthmann ·
Background:
20 or so Windows 2000 laptops connecting to network via VPN (L2TP Cisco PIX). All clients have edited lmhost files with #PRE and #DOM in use. (reason is Windows 2000 does some funky stuff when it comes to enabling WINS over VPN).

Issue:
User are prompted for a username and password when connecting to any domain controller and or file server. (In NT 4 and Win98 they are not prompted, their current logon information is sent, they are only prompted if their is a discrepancy). I know that this is probably a security future in Windows 2000 but how can I turn it off? If I recall it is a lanman reg hack, but I haven't found the hack any where. Even stranger is that one of my two laptops can't even get the logon prompt to appear, it gets an error back saying that a logon server was unable to validate my request.

If you can answer/solve both issues, or if I solve either one on my own you and you solve the other one, all 1000 points are yours, otherwise half of them. If any additional information is need please ask.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Aaron_Wurthmann In reply to Windows 2000 vs NetBios S ...

Hmmm, I just tried to connect to one the Samba through VPN, and I had no trouble what so ever. BTW: Incase I adn't mentioned it the file servers and domain controllers are all Windows 2000 as well.

Collapse -

BTW: everyone I sprained my wrist, so my typing is even worse then normal, and you thought that wasn't possible. =)

Collapse -

by asep_hendriana In reply to Windows 2000 vs NetBios S ...

You can not turn off the logon prompt on Windows 2000 the PC connects to any domains, however you can use TweakUI from Microsoft to automate user logging to the network (Put User-Id and password on Tweakui's Network tab).

For one of your laptop that could not get the logon prompt, try these following steps:
- Edit the LMHOSTS file and add your domain controller with this format
<IP Address of domain server> <domain server name> #PRE #DOM:<domain name>
- Run the NBTSTAT utility from DOS prompt with -R option (purge and reload the remote cache table)
- Restart Windows

Have a nice try !

Collapse -

Issue solved. (see comment above)
Thanks for the TweakUI tool reminder I forgot all about that. As for the lmhost file comment as I said I already did that. And as for NBTSTAT, I did that as well, I'm all about nbtstat. =) It has saved my butt moretimes than I can count.

BTW: Please do not refer to the "Command Prompt" as a DOS prompt. Not only is it a reference to an archaic operating system, but the command prompt is an actual shell. (sorry its just one of my pet peeves, I almost lost iton an Instructor at "Siebel" last month who kept calling it the Windows NT Dos Prompt".. aghhhh what a friken oxymoron)

Collapse -

Solved:
Alrighty, so here was what was the matter with everything.

Server:
There "were" some shares that were not setup to share to the "Everyone" group. Once that was fixed I set security premissions to deny Domain\Guests and allow Domain\Users. In other words I didn't actaully want to allow "Everyone" access just the members of the domain. (the deny Domain\Guests, something special I do, all temorary account on the domain are add into "Doamin\Guests"). Once all that was fixed the machinestoped asking for a logon prompt.

My Laptop:
I had "Enable NetBios over TCP/IP" checked in my TCP/IP settings on my laptop. The second I disbaled it all was well. hmmm.. Not quite sure how that happened in the first place, perahps Mobile Essentials did it.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)