General discussion

Windows 2000, Windows XP boot.ini

By ravika ·
I have a system with Windows 2000 Pro and my friend has Windows XP Pro. I would like to
know the folders where the files boot.ini, NTLDR and Ntdetect.com are located. Can somebody
enlighten me on this?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

You need to open

by zlitocook In reply to Windows 2000, Windows XP ...

my computer, go to tools, folder options, view the select show hidden files and folders and deslect hide extentions for known file tyoes. This will let you see almost every thing on your computer. the files are located in the %SystemRoot%System32 folder. Be vary carefull with these because if you mess them up your computer may not boot up.

Collapse -

actually...

by heml0ck In reply to You need to open

the files that your system is using to boot are located on the root of the system drive (usually c: )
Zlito is right tho', if you mess them up, you're euchred.

Collapse -

Reveal Hidden Operating System files.

by jmiguy In reply to Windows 2000, Windows XP ...

Control Panel > Folder Options > View - Uncheck the "Hide Protected Operating System Files" box.

The files are hidden in your active partition. (Usually the drive labeled C:)

Jeff

Collapse -

Thank you

by ravika In reply to Windows 2000, Windows XP ...

Thank you jmiguy and zlito for your prompt and crisp replies. Thanks a lot.
ravika

Collapse -

Did you resolved that

by keralajackie In reply to Windows 2000, Windows XP ...

The files (boot.ini,ntldr,ntdetect.com) are located in your C drive(where the windows installation was done).You cant see these files by enabling 'view hidden files and folders'.These files are hiddem by microsoft itself.Try this link to know more about hidden files by microsoft

http://www.microsuck.com/content/ms-hidden-files.shtml

The above files are needed in booting.If you delete ntdlr, your system will never boot.You than have to insert XP disc and repair it by copying the specified file to the drive using command prompt.
This is all about these files.

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)