General discussion

Windows 2000 Won't Boot

By Etoile ·
I have a system with a removeable system HHD tray so that I can run one drive with Win98 on FAT32 for Office, Net Surfing, email, the kids and games, and another drive Win2000Pro with NTFS dedicated to Video Editing (OS recommended for use with my Pinnacle Video Capture card).

Everything has been working fine, but now the WIN2000 won't boot. It goes through the usual preloading procedure, gets to "Loading Windows" - the loading bar runs complete from left to right, but then the system stalls on that screen.

I have restored a Norton Ghost image of my original clean and working build, but the load still stalls.

Repartitioned again, formatted NTFS, restored ghosted clean build again, still no luck.

I have also repartitioned, restored a ghost of my working Win98 drive and this works fine, so I don't think there is anything wrong with the HDD.

I would prefer not to have to do a clean install of Win2000, because I have to dismantle the machine and install bits and pieces ofhardware and software according to Pinnacle recommendations - done in the beginning of course, which worked fine, and I have successfully used this ghost image before.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Won't Boot

by R. A. Caluste In reply to Windows 2000 Won't Boot

have you tried running in safe mode. during boot, press f8, select safe mode or last known good configuration. also, do you have a special hardware profile? on this menu, you can select a hardware profile that matches your current hardware configuration. if that doesn't work, try using the recovery console.

hope this helps.

allan

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Won't Boot

by Etoile In reply to Windows 2000 Won't Boot

I couldn't boot into safe mode. I also tried the recovery console - no luck, and further booted from the Win2000 CD and ran the repair utility. Still not working.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Won't Boot

by Etoile In reply to Windows 2000 Won't Boot

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)