General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Windows 2000 won’t Shut Down on Laptop

by ptlewis1974 ·

Does anyone have experience with Windows 2000 not shutting down all the way? I have seen no support for it thus far. On laptops and desktops. Any suggestions?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Windows 2000 Shutdown

by edbiehl ·

In reply to Windows 2000 won’t Shut Down on Laptop

Hi’
      I have had luck with Laptops not shutting down. I make sure I have installed Win2000 SP1 and get all the updates in the’Windows Updates’ for your computer.Then run a disk clean-up and a Defrag on the system. This always works for me. I have hadgreat success keeping my computers running top performance when I have them all updated to the latest. Hope this helps.
      Ed

Enable “NT APM/Legacy Interface Node”!

by hallvard schjolberg ·

In reply to Windows 2000 Shutdown

To do this:
        Go to Device Manager -> Computer Management Console. Choose the “Show Hidden Files” option in the View menu. Now enable “NT APM / Legacy Interface Node”.
        This have fixed power problems on several Windows 2000 machines I support.

hallvardsc I owe you a cold one

by rtss ·

In reply to Enable “NT APM/Legacy Interface Node”!

Myself and colleagues we perplexed by the shutdown problem as we were able to shut down the pc’s prior to upgrading to Win2K.

Your resolution was THE fix we have been looking for….it sounds so simple and yet….IT IS.

You ROCK! Thank you

what i did

by tech4life ·

hello,
      i had the similar problem here. I reinstalled 2000 pro and have had no problems with it since.

tech4life
      matrixtrapped@aol.com

try reinstalling your operating system

by giovgonzalez ·

you can reistall your operating system. you can also upgrade it to Windows ME. Try checking your configuration settings and see if it is on default settings

Upgrade???

by wesbflyer ·

In reply to try reinstalling your operating system

Hmmm, is Win ME and upgrade from W2K Pro??

Shut down problem… ?

by tech ·

In reply to Upgrade???

Try updating the laptop BIOS.

Good Luck.

Can’t do it

by jgraves ·

In reply to Upgrade???

What benefit would you get by ‘upgrading’ to ME… not to mention that it isn’t even possible. A dual boot would be about as close as you could get… otherwise, it would be a complete reinstall. I don’t see any benefit at all of going to ME from 2000 unless the hardware just can’t handle 2000 and the extra security and other benefits aren’t needed. Just my 2 cents of Win2k vs ME.

Justin Graves, MCP

Reply To: Windows 2000 won’t Shut Down on Laptop

by kim2786 ·

In reply to Upgrade???

No , If you have ME it is ok to upgrade to Win 2000.

But not win 2000 to Win ME.

Win2000 is more powerfull than ME.

Win ME is the family product of 95/98/ME.

BIOS Update

by derek a. evans ·

I had the same problem after upgrading my laptop to Win2K and it was a result of my BIOS not being up to date. I have a Dell and when I went to the Dell support page to see if my laptop was Win2K compatible it said yes and gave me all the drivers Iwould need but it failed mention the BIOS upgrade.

Hope This helps.

Windows shutdown

by rewini ·

plewis@osah.com

I had a simmular problem with Windows 98. My problem was with my power saver utility that was installed on my laptop. I disabled that, and the problem went away.

Thanks

Bob Wininger.

Power Management

by ptlewis1974 ·

In reply to Windows shutdown

I hear you on the power management. Actually, that, disabling McAfee Virus Scans on A: shutdown, and Defrag usually fixed 98, but not 2000. I have not tried Bios updates yet, though.

Thanks.
        Paul

W2K won’t Shut Down/ Laptop – Media Play

by bonj ·

Here are my experiences.

I had this problem on a Gateway Solo 9300 with DVD player after replacing my Solo 5150. I got my software loaded on it, updated a few items and then it would not shut down all the way. It basically started the process and would hang right before it normally would have powered off. It turned out, as usual, the last thing I loaded is what caused the problem. I upgraded to Windows Media Player 7. It installed the Adaptec CD-Burning Plug-in. Once I removed this plug-in, the problem was gone. Everytime I check for updates on Media Player 7, it comes back trying to get me to install the Adaptec CD-Burning Plug-in.

I don’t totally recall it not shutting down all of the way, but I recall having some type of problem (error message?) when first getting my Solo 5150. After installing McAfee it would give an error (I don’t think it stopped it from totally shutting down, but somewhat hung for a minute or so). The default McAfee installation was trying to check the floppy drive on shutdown and I kept the CD drive in, not the floppy, so disabling this took care of the delay. This was using NT 4.0, but I believe this is a McAfee default on either platform.

answer in cmous

by henryreed ·

you can go into the registry and enable the shutdown
      alittle tricky though

HMMM

by ptlewis1974 ·

In reply to answer in cmous

How’s that?

Registry shutdown edit

by ac ·

In reply to HMMM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
          KEY: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NY\Current Version\Winlogon
          Entry: Powerdownaftershutdown (value 1)
          Data Type: REG_SZ

Use a value of 1 in the powerdownaftershutdown entry.

I hope this works for you. If this doesn’t work you may have additional problems to find like me.

Of course, backup the system data first.

Good Luck.

AL

Windows 2000 won’t Shut Down on Laptop

by henryreed ·

upgrade your service pack (windows update)
      Hope you meet the minnuin requriments as far as ram and process speed.

Thanks, but no help yet…

by ptlewis1974 ·

Still can’t get these laptops and desktops running windows 2000 to shutdown. Whether they are running office 97 or office 2000, norton, mcafee….

I’m starting to hate w2k!

Viewing 7 reply threads