General discussion

Windows 2003 DC

By pjcannon ·
Windows 2003 DC crashed & burned, no backup. DID a parrellel install and recovered data but the original registry, active directory etc is toast. I am going to wipe the hard drive and due a frsh install. If I create the user and computer accounts with the same names and use the same domain name will the the users be able to log onto the domain without creating new profiles ? Should I remove the desktops from the old domain before attempting to log onto the new one even though the domain name will be the same?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ICB's corner In reply to Windows 2003 DC

The security id will be changed for all objects from AD but i think you can join a computer to "new" domain and try to logon with a account. Go to Documents and Settings and view the profiles. I think it will be a new one.
At these moments it is good a 2nd DC just for redundancy.

Collapse -

by pjcannon In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by rkuhn In reply to Windows 2003 DC

This just happened to me using SBS 2003.

I had to remove every PC from the domain and add them back. They will function but you'll quickly fill your EventLog with error messages about a broken trust.

Once removed from and then added back to the domain, they will get a new profile since the SID changes.

So I next had to copy their old profiles and settings to the new one logged in as the local administrator.

What a royal pain in the rear end!

There are probably ways to avoid or at least automate some of this, but in my case, it was a small domain so I did it all manually anyways.

Collapse -

by pjcannon In reply to

It was really a non thinking question. Fortunatly only 5 workstations!

Collapse -

by pjcannon In reply to Windows 2003 DC

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)