General discussion

Windows 2003 DNS HELP

By yytechie ·
I have one existing w2k DNS DHCP server running AD. I got a new w2k3 server joined domain, dcpromo, and want to have it act as DNS and DHCP for fail over redundancy.What exactly do I have to do to get the DNS to work on w2k3 to exist with the w2k? Ive read about setting Global Catalogue but I am confused and short on time. Can I simply just use the DNS server wizard? After i dcpromo'd w2k3 it looks like something in w2k3 DNS was setup, forward lookup zone, no reverse though, but it was not activated. I dont want to risk messing up my DNS and having clients down so the w2k3 is just a DC with AD and no DNS running or DHCP. Please help if you can. I just want redundancy incase either go down, the other will still function. Thank you very much

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Windows 2003 DNS HELP

if you want fail over you have to make the DC a global catalog [in addition to a DNS server and AD {the DC part}. you also can't have 2 DHCP's running at the same time on the same subnet giving out IPs in the same scope. so you'll have to make a different scope for DHCP.

you can assign roles to the DC in AD users and computers. just open up the mmc for AD users and computers via admin tools, right click on the server and you'll see options for assigning roles.

Collapse -

by yytechie In reply to

Thank you for your assistance CG IT

Collapse -

by yytechie In reply to Windows 2003 DNS HELP

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)