General discussion

Windows 2003 Domain Controller

By safdar ·
I have a windows 2003 domain mydomain.local with active directory installed. I need to setup a standalone server that would host my public dns, exchange and iis6. My public name server (NS) is dns1.mydomain.com. Can this stand alone server join domain mydomain.local or I have to convert the standalone server to a domain controller mydomain.com. I need my dns server respond to (soa record) dns1.mydomain.com.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Parbo In reply to Windows 2003 Domain Contr ...

Yes you can have a standalone server run these services. Just like in W2K the DNS has to be authorized so its adviced that you join this server to the domain.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Windows 2003 Domain Contr ...

as the first answer said, yes you can have a stand alone server provide "public" services such as name server services, mail services, and web services e.g. web site. The matter of having that public server join your private network depends upon private network user requirements. You CAN have a public DNS server providing name resolution for your email and web service and that name server doesn't need to be part of your private network. You can have a web server providing public information and that doesn't need to be part of your private network. Your mail server doesn't need to be "public" in the sense of being a part of public servers. As long as the name server provides the right public IP address for your domain name and inbound port 25 [or whatever your using] is routed to your mail server mail, will get to the mail server.

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)