Question

Windows 2003 R2 Std, and Disc2

By AdamMac ·
Ok this may be a really silly questions I am prepared for the flack.

What is the difference between the Volume Licenses copies of the following

Windows Server 2003 Standard
Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard, without installing CD2 (R2 Stuff)
Windows Server 2003 R2 with installing complete install.

The reason for asking is this. I have been passed a AD system that is in Mixed mode. Add DC are Windows 2003 Server (no R2). I have not found the Non-R2 Media, I have the license for both the Volume licenses of Non-R2 and R2 from the MS Volume site. I also have the media for the R2 install (as well as being able to download it from the MS Site).

I need to upgrade the Primary AD DC, I would prefer not having to upgrade the schema until I get the server loaded on better hardware.

If I install the R2 Media on the new server, but cancel out the final step of the install of the R2 (disc 2),would that Install equal to the Non-R2? Would it allow it to be upgraded with PCPROMO without upgrading (ADPREPing) the Schema/forest)?

Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

In my experience

by scott_heath In reply to Windows 2003 R2 Std, and ...

The first disc is the non-R2 installation media. I accidentally used the R2 media with a non-R2 key once and when it went to install the R2 disc it asked for an R2 key. I cancelled it since it was a test box and I din't need the R2 features anyway.

I think you should be fine, but I suggest you test in a VM or on a PC first just to see.

Regards,
Scott

http://scottisageek.spaces.live.com

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)