General discussion

Windows 2003 Roaming Profiles

By rmillz ·
I am trying to convert all the users in our domain to roaming profiles. I have created a "test" profile to ensure I could get it to roam. I have created a folder named "profiles" on the back-up domain controller with shared permission of "Everyone-Modify". I then placed the folder path into the "profile path" in the user properties ("\\servername\profiles\%username%"). However, when I attempt to log onto the computer with the test profile, I get an error message stating that the roaming profile can not be accessed and it initiates a local profile. All help is welcome and appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Try...

by NOW LEFT TR In reply to Windows 2003 Roaming Prof ...

Do you want one profile for all users or a profile each? If the latter create a folder per user and replace %username% with the folder name (for that user).

If it is the latter create a single folder, logon and create the profile, log-off and then use a group policy to stop localy made changes being saved.

I use both in my company. The normal users get their own roaming profile and the training accounts get non modify profiles.

Hope this helps :-)

Collapse -

Update

by rmillz In reply to Try...

I have been semi successful so far... I have created a group policy that redirects "My Documents", "Applications", and "Desktop" to a shared on the domain controller as well as making individual roaming profiles. I create a new test profile, make it roaming and make some changes to see if it follows the profile. I change the desktop picture, create an empty doc and leave it on it on the desktop, create an empty doc in "My Documents", add a printer and map a drive to a network resource. At this point, both docs follow the profile, and the mapped drive follows. The desktop pic and added printer do not. Thank you for your advice, once I get this all straight I will also utilize both types. Thanks again!

Collapse -

domain to roaming profiles

by rsp_met In reply to Windows 2003 Roaming Prof ...

I am trying to convert all the users in our domain to roaming profiles. I have created a "test" profile to ensure I could get it to roam. I have created a folder named "profiles" on the back-up domain controller with shared permission of "Everyone-Modify". I then placed the folder path into the "profile path" in the user properties ("\\servername\profiles\%username%"). However, when I attempt to log onto the computer with the test profile, I get an error message stating that the roaming profile can not be accessed and it initiates a local profile. All help is welcome and appreciated.

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)