General discussion

Windows 2003 SBS Installation time

By jpesek ·
Does anyone have experience in installaing W2K3 SBS? I am installing it on a single XEON P4 DP with 68GB RAID5 and 1GB DDR400. It has been at work for 3.5 hours and has shown 13 minutes left for over an hour. Screen is still active and disk drives are being accessed.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Rasman In reply to Windows 2003 SBS Installa ...

What options are you installing?
A full load could take 4-5 hours.
How long did it take?
Ras.

Collapse -

by jpesek In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by jpesek In reply to Windows 2003 SBS Installa ...

We have not had the option to select options as yet. It has now moved to 9 minutes left and is saving settings. If this is normal I am pleased but if abnormal I am bewildered. Sounds like you have experienced a long install time before.

Collapse -

Has now moved to 5 minutes left with an elapsed time of 3 hours and 55 minutes so far.

Collapse -

by valis In reply to Windows 2003 SBS Installa ...

wow, something isn't going right there.

i installed windows 2003 server enterprise edition on my dual xeon 550mhz machine with no problems, went pretty swift also, minutes, not hours.

good luck,

http://www.valiskeogh.com

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Windows 2003 SBS Installa ...

If your using the SBS 2003 trialware package about 45minutes to a hour for a clean install. Depends upon what your installing. The standard has W 2003 SBS server with Exchange 2003 but no ISA server. Premium has ISA server so again depends upon what componets are being installed.

Collapse -

by jpesek In reply to

Thanks to all for your help. Your answers forced me to consider other possibilities. The problem was in fact a corrupted BIOS setting. After selecting default optimum settiings and saving them the system began to run about 100 times faster. This was a Super Micro 7043L-8R server and the idea to reset the BIOS came from their tech support.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)