General discussion

Windows 2003 SBS

By phil.kesteven ·
Hi, we're now going to move over to Windows SBS 2003 to make use of the Domain and Exchange facilities and also get rid of Novell. I've been looking into SBS, Win 2003 and Terminal Servers and was wondering:

-If the SBS Server has to be the PDC with 65 CAL's, if we add another std 2003 server as a BDC to the domain (for file and print sharing that everyone would access), would that server have to have 65 licenses of its own or would all the users of the domain be able to access this resource?

-If TS Server 2003 is introduced by purchasing another copy of std 2003 server, what are the restrictions on installing Office, ACT etc...

-What is the difference between a per seat and per device CAL type? We dont have many remote users using laptops, no shift working patterns, just 60 desktop PC's wanting to access file sharing and Exchange

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Windows 2003 SBS

Are you purchasing User or Device CAL's. I will assume User since you said you are pondering Terminal Server.

In that case, each user will have to have a license.

With Terminal Server, you will need a license for each connection PLUS a license for each user in the network. The TS connection licenses are different from the USER CAL's.

You have 120 users in your network and they all connect via Terminal Server at times. You will need a user CAL for them (120) and TS connection licenses (120).

If you plan to use Exchange, you will need a USER CAL for the Outlook clients also.

In addition, you want to carefully look at how many clients SBS supports and other limitations, such as:

Only one computer in a domain can be running Windows Small Business Server 2003.

Windows Small Business Server 2003 must be the root of the Active Directory forest.

Windows Small Business Server 2003 cannot trust any other domains.

A Windows Small Business Server 2003 domain cannot have any child domains.

Each additional computer running Windows Server 2003 must have a Windows Small Business Server 2003 client access license (CAL).

A Windows Small Business Server 2003 domain can have no more than 75 CALs. You can use CALs for each user or for each device.

Just as a side note, there are no backup domain controllers with Active Directory.

There is a pretty decent page FAQ page for Windows 2003 SBS here:

And licensing is here:

Best of luck on your migration.

Collapse -

by phil.kesteven In reply to

We're just a small company of just over 60 users, so we are no-where close to the SBS limit (although I know we can upgrade if I have to in the future). We're just looking at using SBS locally via desktops. The Terminal Server will come in at a later date for remote sales staff on another seperate server.

If I had the SBS server as the DC (which from what I can gather, I have to anyway)...can I have a Windows 2003 Std Server and the 60 or so users access the file and print facilities off the second server (although I haven't purchased CALs on the 2nd server for them all).

Collapse -

by phil.kesteven In reply to Windows 2003 SBS

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)