General discussion

Windows 2003 Server DCPROMO

By KingOfTheNerds ·
Hi All,

I have installed Windows 2003 Server R2 on a PC that I want to use as a Filemaker Server only.

I want to join it to the domain but don't want other computers in the domain to access it for anything else but Filemaker.

I am unsure if I should use DCPROMO or simply join the domain as I would on an XP Pro machine.

Can someone please tell me what is the difference between joining via DCPROMO and via Computer Name Change>Change>Domain or Workgroup?

I am under the impression that if I use DCPROMO that it will install Active Directory and setup this Windows 2003 Server as a Domain controller that clients will access if my main server is overloaded, for info in Active Directory.

Can someone please tell me the do's and don'ts.

Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by cmiller5400 In reply to Windows 2003 Server DCPRO ...

Please see question http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6239-0.html?forumID=39&threadID=195952

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Windows 2003 Server DCPRO ...

You are correct - dcpromo loads Active Directory onto the server, making it a domain controller. You definitely do not want to do this if you want to limit the traffic on this server to your database program. All you need to do is join the domain, just like you would with a workstation. This makes the server a "member server" on the domain - it does not run AD but it is otherwise configured in server mode (i.e., processor and memory optimized for background processing and file serving). You have to be aware, however, that a member server runs local security, just like a workstation; so, users won't have access to shared resources on the server just by virtue of being AD Users. The recommended method to enable users to use resources on a member server is to add the domain local security groups (from AD) to the member server's local security groups, and then give the server local security groups rights to the resources on the server. Again, this very similar to what you would do if you were sharing out a resource on a workstation so that other users on the domain could access it.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

by KingOfTheNerds In reply to Windows 2003 Server DCPRO ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)