General discussion

Windows 2003 Upgrade issues

By weigm ·
I recently upgrade my primary domain controller from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2003. I configured it for mixed mode since I still have a NT4 server as a BDC. I have a couple of XP Pro systems that log into the domain but then can't access files on the NT4 server. When trying to access the NT4 server they get a login screen and nothing allows them to login to that server. Also, is it possible to share printers that are attached to pc's in the domain?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Dumphrey In reply to Windows 2003 Upgrade issu ...

First I would check in AD on the 2k3 server that the NT machine si showing up as a DC or BDC. If not, you may need to re-dd it to the domaine. May want to re-share the shares on it anyway. And as for shareing printers, yeas, all you do is create a "share" from the printer and its put on the network, available in network places, <domaine name>, <computer name>, <printer>.

Collapse -

by weigm In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by weigm In reply to Windows 2003 Upgrade issu ...

In AD on the WIN2003 server, the NT server is listed under Domain Controllers. By the way, not all of the XP Pro pc's are having this problem, just a couple of 80 pc's. However, none of the printers attached to individual pc's have been able to consistently share their printers. When trying to access a printer on another pc through My NW Places, you cannot access the individual printer shares any longer. The message says you don't have access permissions to the pc.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Windows 2003 Upgrade issu ...

the migration process from NT to W2003 shuffles NT security domains around so that they now adhere to the Active Directory security group structure. Nothing is 100% fool proof on a migration so for printers, you probably have to reshared and set permissions. Users that can not access files on the NT4 server were probably in a security domain on NT which does not correspond to a security group in Active Directory. Again you have to check user's group membership and permissions. note: in AD, users access is the combination NTFS with the most restrictive permissions applying. example if a user is a member of one group with access permissions to a folder and also is a member of another group that is not granted access to that same folder, the most restrictive permissions apply.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

I'd get the suits the spring for another W2003 server license and get rid of the other NT server. over time, it's going to be a headache for you since your now in an Active Directory environment.

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)