General discussion

windows 3.11 problem

By syaza61 ·
this is the first time i'm using 386dx computer(very old fesyen) and i'm not familiar with windows 3.11.My problem is..

1) i've already setup the mouse driver but it still didn't function.(the port for serial mouse already rusty...is that becauseof that the mouse did'n working?)

2)is it compactable for all printer using 386/486dx.

3)how can we check the memory and hard disk by using ms dos.

can anybody help me.....

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

windows 3.11 problem

by danpiers In reply to windows 3.11 problem

1) If you need to use a serial mouse, you must first verify that your serial port is working properly and it is set to either the 3F8 address using interrupt 4 or the 2F8 address using interrupt 3. You must also make sure that your internal modem is not conflicting with the serial port you will use for your mouse. And finally, you must have a mouse driver installed that was made for the particular brand of mouse (Microsoft or Logitech. Typically, during the Windows 3.11 installation process,it would automatically load the correct driver for the mouse that it finds connected. Many times, a re-install of Windows 3.11 fixes a mouse problem. If there is a mouse driver installed in the CONFIG.SYS file or the AUTOEXEC.BAT file, it sometimes may conflict with the driver Windows wants to use.
2) Windows 3.11 has built-in drivers for many 9-pin and 24-pin dot-matrix printers. Additionally, some early laser printers like the HP Laserjet and HP Series II Laserjets and early inkjet printers like the HP Deskjet 500 are built-in, too. The last floppy disk of the installation disks has the printer files.
3) To check the size and availability of installed memory in MS-DOS, use the "MEM" command. To check the size and available space on the harddisk, use either the "CHKDSK" command for MS-DOS 5 and earlier or the "SCANDISK" command for MS-DOS 6 and later. Good luck.

Collapse -

windows 3.11 problem

by syaza61 In reply to windows 3.11 problem

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

windows 3.11 problem

by Dr. Dale In reply to windows 3.11 problem

Regarding problem number 3, you should be able to type "MSD" at a DOS prompt and use the "Microsoft Diagnostic Utility" to answer some basic questions about hard disk and memory.

Collapse -

windows 3.11 problem

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

windows 3.11 problem

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)