Question

Windows 7 Professional on HP Pavilion DV9000

By n00bst4r23 ·
Hello,

I have a peculiar problem.

I have Windows 7 build 7100 successfully installed on my HP Pavilion DV9000 laptop. My laptop specifications - 120 GB hard drive and 3 GB RAM. I had no trouble installing this build of Windows 7 on my laptop and with Windows update, I got all my drivers installed (video, audio, wireless and even webcam drivers, etc).

However, now I keep getting the Windows message asking me to reinstall Windows 7 since my current version is the pre-release one. So I downloaded Windows 7 Professional from my College MSDN account (x86 version) and tried a fresh install on my laptop. However, just after "Setting up registry" and before "Finishing Windows 7 set up", I keep getting the error "Windows setup could not configure one or more system components. Please restart the computer and restart the installation".

I have no idea how to get past that. I restarted my laptop many times and tried multiple fresh installs, but nothing works - it always get stuck at the same error message at the same level. I re-downloaded the ISO file many times, burned them from different computers into different types of DVDs, but nothing worked. I also tried installing the x64 version of Windows 7, and I got the exact same error.

The only way I have been able to get it to install Windows 7 properly when I switch back to my old pre-release candidate build 7100, but obviously, it's expired. I did full hardware, and memory tests, and I didn't find any error.

If it helps, the pre-release candidate (build 7100) is Windows 7 Ultimate, whereas I am trying to install Windows 7 Professional. Also, I am doing fresh install each time - which means wiping off the hard drive and starting from scratch.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Update BIOS and Firmware

by Kingbackwards In reply to Windows 7 Professional on ...

Did you know there was a service recall for your laptop model?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1842189〈=en

Also make sure you're using the latest BIOS and firmware for you machine before you upgrade to a new OS, as there can be compatibility issues with the install or once you get it installed. Also you may not be able to run the BIOS update once you install the new OS.

Collapse -

how did you wipe the drive?

by .Martin. In reply to Windows 7 Professional on ...

if you just formatted using the windows installer, you could always give Darik's Boot And Nuke a go to wipe it

http://www.dban.org/

obviously tr this after updating the BIOS

Back to Hardware Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)