General discussion

Windows 98 & 2000 PC's cannot find DHCP

By Numbies ·
We have been experiencing problems which seem only to relte to our Win 98 & 2000 PC's. They will be working fine, and then will not be able to log onto the network. When logging on a message appears saying "No Domain ontroller could be found". When I assign a static address for them they log on fine. Any help would be appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Bryan Bowers In reply to Windows 98 & 2000 PC's ca ...

You should make an entry for your WINS server on the DHCP server. Also, does the machine have an valid TCP/IP address or is it blank?

Collapse -

by Numbies In reply to Windows 98 & 2000 PC's ca ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by 4runner In reply to Windows 98 & 2000 PC's ca ...

In DHCP Manager look at your WINS/NBT Node type. If it is set to Hybrid (0x go ahead and change it to Mixed (0x4). Another thing to check is the broadcast routine on the switch/hub. Also ensure that Port Fast is enabled on the ports the clients are plugged into. Also isolating W2K and W98 clients by putting them on their own segment would be the last resort. Good Luck

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by guy In reply to Windows 98 & 2000 PC's ca ...

I would check the clients by running IPCONFIG on W2K or winipcfg on 98. My point are they getting an autonet automatic IP address ? 169.254.x.y.? If so perhaps set the DHCP leases to about 8 days rather than the default of 3 days.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by todd In reply to Windows 98 & 2000 PC's ca ...

I had a similiar issue, that drove me nuts. Apparently what had happened, in my case, was a surge had altered the settings inside of one of my routers and enabled DHCP. I had DHCP running on an NT box also, and what had happened, was occasionally, Iwould get an off the wall IP address assigned to some of the work-stations.
If the workstation found the router as the DHCP server, it would get an odd IP, if it found the NT server, it would work fine.
Look to see if IP's are assigned, if so, check and see what the IP of the DHCP server it used is the correct one. If not, then you may have another device on the network acting as a DHCP. Disable DHCP in this device.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by tony In reply to Windows 98 & 2000 PC's ca ...

If you recently installed Active Directory on a Win2000 server, you have to go into AD and authorize the dhcp or it will be shut down by AD.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Back to Windows Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next