General discussion

Windows 98, ME, or 2000 on a new system

By CTG ·
I just finished building a new system for work related applications. No intensive graphics (mostly MS products). running on a peer to peer network.
800 thunderbird AMD processor, 164 MB ram, 45GB HD. What operating system is better. Why? Can I use Win 2000 server as a stand alone, why or why not? If I set it as my server, can I still peer to peer, and use it daily as a main computer with each type or operating system?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by wdlists In reply to Windows 98, ME, or 2000 o ...

I have no direct experience with ME. I have been running a small peer-to-peer network of Win98 for several years. We are now migrating to Win 2K. We have a Win 2K server and two machines running Win 2k Pro. We are seeing more stability on Win 2k except for the bug I just posted (dnsapi 11151).

If you try to run on Win 2K server, at the very least you will have to change a lot of configuration parameters as it configures itself to prefer background applications over foreground interactive programs. It works well with old and new systems in peer-to-peer mode. The cost differential between server and pro makes the decision a no-brainer unless you need the server features. There are major differences at the surface level in the administration of server and pro. Once in the actual management code they are quite similar but finding the right place is baffling for a while.

You have plenty of horsepower and memory to run any of the systems.

Collapse -

by CTG In reply to Windows 98, ME, or 2000 o ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by 1ronman In reply to Windows 98, ME, or 2000 o ...

If security is a concern, then Win2k Pro is excelent for Peer to Peer. If security is not a concern, then 98 in any flavor is the hands down winner. 98's ease of use, driver availability, and supportability would weigh very heavily in my decisiion. You are probably already familiar with the user interface and some of the support tools if you have used 9x very long, so your learning curve is going to be non-existant. As I said though, if security is a concern, go W2K.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by xxx In reply to Windows 98, ME, or 2000 o ...

I have a 64 PC network with NT 4.0 Servers. In June I migrated them all from Win98 to W2K Pro and in septenber I installed Sp1.

It it is perfectly possible to use a W2K Server in a peer to peer network in both cases, its just a matter of sharing resources (drives, CDs, Printers, etc.).
As to wich one is best, a simple answer, with Win98 I used to have 2-3 users calling me dayly because their PC went dead or freezed, now, with W2K Pro its 2-3 calls a month.
W2K has security built in, wich W98 hasn't. But in case this is not an issue, still W2K has its downside, on the same system it will run slower than W98 and is less compatible with some hardware.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)