General discussion

windows NT to 2000 migration

By jkeav634 ·
my current setup is a windows nt server , wins server and sonicwall vpn device at my main location. Remote sites access the main location from windows 2000/xp workstations and the remote location has a windows nt server running only wins service and connecting through sonicwall vpn device.
I am going to install a windows 2000 server for file storage at the remote location to replace the windows nt server. How will users be able to access the network at the main location? Do I need to keep the wins server there? do I use host files? any help is appreciated

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by natecasp In reply to windows NT to 2000 migrat ...

This is a fairly easy thing to do but more information is needed. Do you currently have a Windows NT 4.0 domain in place. What do the users in the remote office use the main server for? Since you are creating a storage server at the remote location will they still need to connect to the main server?

WINS will still be used unless you convert to a Windows 2000 Active Directory and that is more complex.

Collapse -

by jkeav634 In reply to

Comment from jkeav634@... on 05/05/05 :
Remote users will need to connect to the Windows NT domain at the main location to access data on other servers. The windows 2000 server I am installing at the remote site is to speed up the remote users personal folders.Can I install wins on a 2000 server?

Collapse -

by jkeav634 In reply to windows NT to 2000 migrat ...

Remote users will need to connect to the Windows NT domain at the main location to access data on other servers. The windows 2000 server I am installing at the remote site is to speed up the remote users personal folders.Can I install wins on a 2000 server?

Collapse -

by natecasp In reply to windows NT to 2000 migrat ...

Yes, now I understand what you are trying to do.

Setup the 2000 server at the remote location and join it to the existing Windows NT domain. The users will still login just as they are now however you will modify the login or create a new login script for the remote users. In the login script you will map a drive to the new server and store the PST files there.

Yes you can install WINS on Windows 2000 and in this situation you will need to. Setup the users TCP/IP settings to use the WINS server closest to them. Remote users will use the remote server and local users will use the local server(s).

All servers will be accessible by any of the users logged into the domain.

You will also want to setup the WINS servers to replicate the records between each of them.

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)