General discussion

Windows Nt.40 to 2000 in a perfect world

By brombouts ·
What is the optimum hardware requirements (not the specified requirements)for upgrading from Windows Nt.40 with Windows 98se clients to a true Windows 2000 environment both server and Client. 2 servers and 1 Web server. Lets call this in a perfect world.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to Windows Nt.40 to 2000 in ...

Since I assume your are talking from a standpoint of upgrading older computers as opposed to buying new hardware, there really isn't any optimum as much as a true, usable minimum. Optimally, assuming the computers you have are more than 3 years old, I would replace them if you have the budget.

Win2K Server:
CPU: What CPU will be sufficient is greatly determined by the function of the server. I would go with a minimum PII at 350Mhz for any server. If a server is providing any services other than basic network services (such as web hosting, email, SQL, Terminal Services, etc.), I would probably bump it up to a PIII 550MHz as a minimum. Will Win2K Server work on a Pentium 133 MHz? Yes, but very slowly.
Memory: 256MB is a true minimum to operate efficiently. Again, if the server provides any services over basic networking, you need to bump it up. If you use Exchange or SQL, they will use all the memory you throw at them.
Hard Drive: A "normal" installation of Win2K and Active Directory (and NO additional software) will use up approx. 1.5 GB of disk space. Therefore, the 2 GB minimum recommended by Microsoft will just BARELY provide enough space for the OS and a decent size swap file. I always use a MINIMUM of a 4GB partition when loading Win2K (server or Pro).

Win2K Pro:
CPU: CPU type and speed becomes more critical here because the computer is constantly in use (more or less). Speed (or lack thereof) is also much more apparent to the user on their workstation. I would go with a I would not go with anything slower than the PII or Celeron 350MHz or your users will always be complaining.
(continued)

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to Windows Nt.40 to 2000 in ...

Memory: Will it run on 64MB? Yes, barely. But you will probably burn out your hard drive because it will be CONSTANTLY working as Win2K pages out to the swap file. Even at 128MB, you will still see swap file activity if you are running any more than 2 applications at a time. I would recommend a minimum of 256MB.
Hard Drive: same comments as above for server.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

by brombouts In reply to Windows Nt.40 to 2000 in ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Windows Nt.40 to 2000 in ...

Can't beat Tim's answers.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by bchesmer In reply to Windows Nt.40 to 2000 in ...
Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Networks Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)