General discussion

windows password for 2000

By bcksa ·
I was setting up a home network for several machines behind a multiport router with various types of operating systems (NT, 2000, 95) On the 2000 maching I was attempting to get it and the NT machine to see each other and share files. I changed its domain to match that of the NT machine. After rebooting it would not recognize me as a user and I am unable to boot.

What is the best solution to get back in....

signed....locked out of seattle

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by georgeminton In reply to windows password for 2000

As an A+ technician working for a company with two hundred plus users I feel that I must tell you anyone who is responsible will not tell you what they have spent many hours to learn.

Therefore, I will give you the same advice that I give to users. Try your password with the cap locks on. This is a frequent mistake that I have even made. If you have written down any passwords try them. I don't recommend that you write your password down as a general practice. (Not secure)

Another possibility is to read books about hacking NT. You will have to figure this one out.

The third and easiest way is to reload the system files which I have also done on my home PC. Boot to dos and run fdisk. (no data or files left at all) Delete and recreate partitions and logical drives and format partitions. Reload all OS and software.

I have done this myself. Welcome to the world of networking.

Collapse -

by bcksa In reply to windows password for 2000

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by georgeminton In reply to windows password for 2000

If you are talking about unable to boot this is a different issue. Two ways to get back to a bootable state. If your cd is bootable then reboot your computer and go into the bios. Set the cd to boot first followed by the floppy disk then the hard drive.

Put your windows 2000 setup cd into the cd-rom drive and start it up. If the system tells you to press any key to boot to the cd press the spacebar or any other key. This will get you to a bootable state and you will be able to modify files etc...

Also, if you created the 4 boot disks using makeboot.exe ( I think that is the exact name but would have to look in the bootdisk folder on the setup disk. Use the one ending in 32 if you are in a 32 bit GUI interface. )

Either method will get you to the point that you can get back in with a known password in a low resolution mode.

Use ntbackup at the run command line to create an emergency repair disk. Put a checkmark in the box where it ask you to back up system state data.
There is an article in Windows 2000 magazine about Win2K recovery and repair in the August 2001 edition.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Pan 13 x In reply to windows password for 2000

if you are working with a domain , create a user account on the primary domain controller , hopefully the nt machine.
your are more then likely tring to use the local account on the computer and loggin onto a domain account. when you hit control atl delete to log in , click the advanced tab and you can select the domain you wish to log into. the computer name for the domain will log on use the local account where you had the old accounts, the (domain ?) the PDC countrols the user accounts. hope this helps.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by azizhakim In reply to windows password for 2000

Good AM.Essentially when you join an nt domain you have two options 1)create a computer account on the pdc or bdc
2)create a computer account from client whereby you must have Admin priveleges or server operators group.If connection is established thru ip addressing & netbios name is resolved Welcome to Domain "your domain" is displayed.After reboot you have option to log on local machine or "you domain"To log on to "your domain",you must have a registered domain user account.If you are registered in you domain I am feeling you are not logging on to domain with valid user account.Try logging on as administrator
on client.Hopethis helps

Collapse -

Collapse -

by cornejo.alvaro In reply to windows password for 2000

Hi

What it happens is that when you change the domain of the W2k machine, and reboot, it is looking onto a DC for validating the user/password. As it does not find a DC, it does not allow you to login. AS this is the first time you try to log onto the new domain.

On the login screen there is a pulldown menu where you can choose the domain where you want to log. Choose the domain that matches the name of you computer. ie log locally.

Then go tu control pannel and user and create an account for the domain you have created.

Reboot and try lo log onto your new domain.

Hope this helps

Alvaro

Collapse -

Back to Windows Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next