Question

windows Server 2003-30 minutes Boot up time

By bodibaski ·
Hi All,

In our office i installed windows server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition being used as File Server. I installed symantec corporate Edition virus scanner in server. Our server is in Workgroup not a Domain. But when i restart, it takes more than 30 minutes to enter.
The system spec : Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0GHZ, Intel D101GGC, 1GB DDR RAM, 320GB HDD.

i splitted the HDD as 2 partitions C: is 10 GB and the rest as is around 222GB.

Please let me what is the reason i have this much time for start up.
I am using Hibernate as temp solution.

When i hibernate it resumed faster when i switch it on.

I am using the same OS, Virus scanner and settings in my home it enters within 1 min.

Why this?

Thanks in Advance.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Need more info

by Monice In reply to windows Server 2003-30 mi ...

Check the system event logs and see if there is any service that is failing to start or any other errors of the kind and post back.

Collapse -

Details Event Manager

by bodibaski In reply to Need more info

Hi Thanks for you reply. I took a look on eventmanager it shows a lot of errors regarding "Symantec Antivirus". The Description is "Risk Found!Risk:W32.Imaut in File"Path Here":by Auto-Protect scan. Action:Quarantine Succeeded:Access Denied. Action Description:The file was quarantined successfully" Like this report.
And some reports about ccsetmgr and Erros about VPC32.exe

Help me.

Collapse -

Well Symantec is picking up potential Infections and

by OH Smeg In reply to Details Event Manager

Removing them during the Boot Process. If it is performing a Full System Scan on every reboot it is going to be extremely slow to boot.

Col

Collapse -

This unit is underpowered for a Server Application

by OH Smeg In reply to windows Server 2003-30 mi ...

Windows Server Software require a lot of resources and for starters 1 GIG if RAM is no where near close to being acceptable.

This unit will be storing data on the Page File instead of in Memory and because you have Partitioned the drive in 2 it is required to read data off the 2 different partitions which is also slowing it down.

I maintain a Server of similar configuration but with a RAID 1 and no partitioning on the drives and it takes around 18 minutes to start from Off.

After the unit loads the OS and the Networking Protocols it's fine but it has no where near enough power to run all of the required Startup items so it's slow to start up.

In your case look at the Task Manager to see what is being used as the unit opens. Even after the Desktop Appears there is still a lot of Files that need to be run and this all takes time.

Col

Collapse -

Do an ipconfig /all

by Jacky Howe In reply to windows Server 2003-30 mi ...

on your Home Server and compare it to the Server in your office.
<br><br>
<i>Keep us informed as to your progress if you require further assistance.</i>
<br><br>
<i>If you think that any of the posts that have been made by all TR Members, have solved or contributed to solving the problem, please Mark them as <b>Helpful</b> so that others may benefit from the outcome.
</i>

Collapse -

Something else to check

by Jacky Howe In reply to Do an ipconfig /all

IDE ATA and ATAPI disks use PIO mode after multiple time-out or CRC errors occur
<br>
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472
<br><br>
<i>Keep us informed as to your progress if you require further assistance.</i>
<br><br>
<i>If you think that any of the posts that have been made by all TR Members, have solved or contributed to solving the problem, please Mark them as <b>Helpful</b> so that others may benefit from the outcome.
</i>