General discussion

Windows server 2003 and USB Drives

By wmr02 ·
I hooked up a USB hard drive (laCie design by fa porche) to a USB 2.0 port on my ibm x440 running W2k3 enterprise edition. On a 1.3 GB test file I was only able to get 3 megabits per second thorughput. on an old Dell (using a USB 1.1 port) I get about 8 Mb/sec. I want to use this drive to transfer large (120+GB) dump files to remote sites rather than using leased lines or tape.

What do I need to do to be able to get higher throughput

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jschein In reply to Windows server 2003 and U ...

nothing you can do, but ensure you are using the USB drivers from the mobo's manufacture website.

Collapse -

by wmr02 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.
Giving up is not an option at this time. I need a solution ot move a 120 GB file between sites that do not have very good connectivity.

Collapse -

by w2ktechman In reply to Windows server 2003 and U ...

look in the bios and see if there is a setting to enable Legacy USB support. Maybe the HDD is a USB 1.1 device.
Or
Look on the manufacturers website for a firmware update for the HDD
Or
Look to see if the Motherboard has USB driver updates/chipset updates.

Collapse -

by wmr02 In reply to

The HDD is a USB 2.0 (La Cide Design by F. A. Porche). The USB port on the server is 2.0. The drive itself has been updates and we regularly update server firmware and drivers (once per month).

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Windows server 2003 and U ...

that is very interesting. i can't add any help, sorry. did you try other hardware with w2k3? if yes, you know you got hardware issue.
i love those lacie drives. my boss loves how those porsche one looks! but we use...
firewire!!!

Collapse -

by wmr02 In reply to

I have tried it on two different w2k3 servers. Receiving differing times on each one. Neither one provided anything near even USB 1 speeds.

Collapse -

by wmr02 In reply to Windows server 2003 and U ...

After attempting touse the troubleshooting / upgrade tools downloaded from the LaCie web site and having them lock up while attempting to work with my drive LaCie has decided a warranty replacement may be in order.

Collapse -

by wmr02 In reply to Windows server 2003 and U ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)