General discussion

Windows Server 2003 Crash

By winston_tan ·
Hi,
2 days ago, my server in the office hang and i had no choice but to do a hard reset, it was not bootable after this. In the RAID menu, it shows as fail to detect my 2 SCSI harddisk which were configured for RAID 1. I did a rebuild which went on all night but it fail as well.

I have contact HP and there believe it could be the RAID Controller card that is faulty and not my SCSI drives, thats the good thing. The worst case would be the harddisk might have fail as well.

If a reinstallation of my windows server 2003 standard edition was the only thing left, can i reconfigure the server as per before the incident? Will my users laptop and desktop be able to relogin to the domain after the server is up and running again. Please advice, thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by cschaut In reply to Windows Server 2003 Crash

I don't have much information about your environment but I would look at the following items.

Q - What are the server specs?
Q - Is this a file or exchange server?
Q - Are you running Citrix?
Q - Are service packs current?

* Services / ntdbsmgr.exe (pervasive) - check to see if you have a memory leak - If pervasive isn't dumping the memory you will need to refresh pervasive when it reaches the maximum allocated level or even before if permitted.
*With mirrored drives (RAID1) make sure that the SCSI drives are confirgured to spec.

I would also suggest obtaining another SCSI drive and configure RAID5 -

Collapse -

by winston_tan In reply to

It is a HP Proliant ML150, Xeon 2.4, 512MB, 2 X 72GB SCSI (Configured RAID 1)
It is configure as a all in one by the previous Person in charge, DC,DNS,DHCP, File Server as well
Not running Citrix, and the OS is Windows 2003 SP1
HP Engineers will be coming down to check on the RAID controller card and SCSI drives, should it have all fail, and with no current image available, can the windows be reinstalled?

Collapse -

by lowlands In reply to Windows Server 2003 Crash

If this server is your only Domain Controller then your laprop and desktop user will not be able to log in to the domain after you reinstall the server. You'll basicly create a new domain that has no knowledge of any of the "old" pc's and users.

Collapse -

by winston_tan In reply to

oh can anything be done to overcome this problem? I have too many user to disjoin and rejoin the domain again and the time need to transfer the profiles will be very time consuming.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Windows Server 2003 Crash

as lowlands said, if you reinstall from scratch, you lose everything. There is no way around it. The only option in not losing everything is a directory services retore from backup[suggest your company invest in a good backup solution after you get your server backup and running].

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

ps you don't have to reject answers to post comments.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

you can extract the info you need from the bad drive but its costly and time consuming. The companies that do this basically rebuild the drives and then extract the data. This doesn't help getting the network back up but you can get the data.

Collapse -

by winston_tan In reply to Windows Server 2003 Crash

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)