Question

Windows Server 2003 Disk Space

By hefin.harries ·
I have a Dell PowerEdge 2900 Server with Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition SP2. Storage is RAID 5 consisting of 5 x 146GB SAS (10,000rpm) 3.5 inch Hard Drives.

I am slowly running low on disk space and have 3 slots spare at the front. How easy is it to add 3 new drives to the system without losing any of the data currently on the server? I assume I would need to purchase 3 x 146GB drives?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Disk space

by Churdoo In reply to Windows Server 2003 Disk ...

So you have a single RAID 5 array of around 530GB? Within that array, how many filesystem volumes do you have? A single system volume consuming the entire array, or multiple volumes? If multiple, what sizes and which is/are near capacity?

The system volume of Windows Server is difficult to expand without the use of a third party product, like Acronis Disk Director (roughly $500 plus one year maintenance).

Yes you can populate the empty disk bays and expand/extend the array using the OpenManage, and that will expand the underlying array, but not the O/S filesystem volume(s). To expand the volumes, non-system volumes can be expanded dynamically using the utility DISKPART. System volumes however, can only be expanded via a parallel O/S install or a third party utility; again, we use Acronis Disk Directory for this function.