General discussion

Windows Server 2003 - Internet Connect

By HereInOz ·
Hi all,

I have a Windows SBS Server 2003 that has been performing well for about a year, but recently we attempted to run the Connect to the Internet Wizard in the Server Management console, and we got to the first screen, clicked Next, and nothing happened - just returned to the server Management Console. Yes, we are logged on as Administrator.

The interesting thing is that the Wizard still seems to be running in the background, because if you re-start the machine, you get an Error - Closing Program message relating to the Wizard, after you log in following the re-start.

Clearly something is happening but the actual interface is not happening at all.

Has anyone come across this behaviour before? I cannot find any reference to it in the support documents, up to now.

Hope you can assist. I will be happy to provide any addditional information if required.

Regards,

Alan

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Windows Server 2003 - Int ...

Alan

how long have you left the system running before shutting down? It is conceivable that the Internet Connection Wizard has been given a low priority and is only being allowed a small amount of CPU usage so it could take a long time to run.

While I haven't run across this particular problem previously with the big brother of SBE I've seen applications only allocated the minimum processing time so save the CPU/s for the main work of the Server and all nonessential services cut back to the absolute minimum.

I hope that is of some assistance as it's going to be a Royal Pain if you have to perform a reload to get the thing working again but if you do may I suggest that you use a new HDD and keep the old one intact so that you can restore to a working system in a few minutes if required.

Col

Collapse -

by HereInOz In reply to

Thanks all.

It would appear that the owner of the equipment has been messing about removing administrator and system permissions in an attempt to "tighten up security". By the look of it, he has tightened it up so much that nothing can be changed now, as neither the Internet Connection Wizard, the Configure POP email wizard, or the Add New User Wizard will run, and this all happened on the same day that the owner was being "clever"

This one will cost him dearly!!

Thanks for the help and support, even though the Wizards are still not running. We need some "user free" time to get it right again.

Collapse -

by HereInOz In reply to Windows Server 2003 - Int ...

Hi Col,

It was running for a couple of weeks prior to today.

I rebooted the thing on numerous occasions, with no effect, but I will have a go at letting the wizard run, and seeing what it shows up. The wizard is loading its background stuff, by the look of it, but not bringing up the GUI.

The owner of the machine was poking about in there on Friday changing folder permissions and the like, so there is always the possibility that he has removed a needed permission from some folder that is required by the wizard, but I would think that we would get an Access Denied message or something if that was the case.

My feeling is that it is a repair install of the OS, then run critical updates. I have never done that with Server 2003 - does it still hold all the program settings as "normal" Windows does, or do we lose the lot?

Thanks for the assistance. Hopefully someone else can come up with a clue.

Cheers,

Alan

Collapse -

by Skramjet In reply to Windows Server 2003 - Int ...

Some things I would try, before doing a complete reinstall or repair. Some of these might not help at all, but I think they are worth a go.

- Create new account and give admin privileges, try and run it then?
- I second the vote for checking priority of the process
- Try running the wizard from elsewhere? By not using the the server console? (although that shouldn't really matter)

Collapse -

by HereInOz In reply to

See answer above

Collapse -

by HereInOz In reply to Windows Server 2003 - Int ...

Thanks msmits. I like the idea of a new account. It could indeed be a corrupted profile. I will give that one a go next time I am there.

I should have thought of that one myself. Oh well, perfection is hard to attain :)

Thanks again.

Collapse -

by newtoitall In reply to Windows Server 2003 - Int ...

I have been looking at SBS 2003 for the company i work for and have been doing fairly extensive testing of all of the Server 2003 range under various scenarios.

I have found that for no apparent reason, some of the Wizards including the Server type Wizards eg. terminal server, vpn server and the Internet connection wizard, etc. fail to run from time to time.

The problem seems to be the GUI not the Wizard because i have found that if you run the wizard from the command line generally they will run properly.

Hope this helps

Collapse -

by HereInOz In reply to

See answer above

Collapse -

by paulbeaver In reply to Windows Server 2003 - Int ...

look at microsoft KB article 888817, it worked for me

Collapse -

by HereInOz In reply to

See answer above

Back to Windows Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next