General discussion

Windows server 2003 & License

By xiaitmb ·
Would have to deploy a few windows server 2003 machines, namely domain controller, dns server, file server and application server. There will be about 100 users who will be accessing to these servers. The question is about configuring the CAL licenses, is it right to say would need to get 4 server and 100 CAL licenses? is it right to configure the domain controller server with 100 per seat license or should it be configured as per server? do i still need any CAL license for the other 3 servers ? what do they need to be configured with - per server or per seat ? appreciate your guidance. thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Windows server 2003 & Lic ...

If you are a MS Chanel Partner you can find your answer here

http://tinyurl.com/n82pf

If you are not I would suggest that you sign up now and gain access to the tools that you need from MS to perform this task. The rules vary depending on where in the world you are so it's hard to give a better answer.

Col

Collapse -

by xiaitmb In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Windows server 2003 & Lic ...

I can only answer for US rules - I don't know anything about how MS licenses its software outside the US. You would need a server license for each server and a CAL for each user or workstation that is going to connect to the network. So, in your case, on the surface of it, you would need 4 server licenses and 100 CALs. However, the number of CALs depends on the licensing option you select - per server or per user. This decision depends on how your company works and which option will work best in your environment. Per user licensing allows user using multiple devices to connect to multiple servers on the network. This is the most common form of licensing, where if you have 100 users, you purchase 100 CALs and they can connect to any server on the network from any device on the network. Per server licensing limits the number of devices that can connect to a server at one time, so if you configured your network this way, each server would have to have the number of CALs installed on it for the devices that would connect to that server. I've not run across this type of licensing, but there must be environments where it's used or Microsoft wouldn't offer it as an option, I'm sure.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

by xiaitmb In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by xiaitmb In reply to Windows server 2003 & Lic ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)