General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Windows server 2003 R2 AD not compatible

by fatuncleal ·

Hello all:

I have a single domain with a couple of DC running Windows server 2003 standard version. Just added a new server and lnstalled Windows server 2003 R2. I want to make this new server a DC and put it in the third building. I joined it to the domain as a member server and DCPROMOTE it but get an error “The AD installation Wizard cannot continue because the forest is not prepared for installing Windows Server 2003. The version of the AD schema of the source forest is not compatible with the version of AD on this computer”. Googled it and found that I have to use the R2 CD to do ADPREP. My questions are : what is the impact of this to my current Active Directory ? Will my current Active Directory be able to run fine right after the AD prep ? Will I have to run the AD prep just once on the new server or will I have to do it on every DC with the standard version ? Just don’t want surprises ! Thank you.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: Windows server 2003 R2 AD not compatible

by icb’s corner ·

In reply to Windows server 2003 R2 AD not compatible

Windows 2003 R2 comes with new objects, attributes and functions. You must update the Schema with adprep /forest on the server which holds the schema master operations role.
      http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/ed42abd5-24c7-4b5a-8165-dbd96727ec841033.mspx?mfr=true

by dumphrey ·

You have to modify the schema as well when installing Exchange. It modifies the FSMO roles it needs and then AD replicates out the changes. You should only have to run the ADPREP one time, unless you rebuild the entire Forest. Personaly, I would research to see if there are any known problems with the ADPREP, but I wouldnt really expect there to be any major ones.

by imdastyar ·

Before you install one of the new features that is described in Active Directory Schema Update or you add a domain controller running Windows Server 2003 R2 to a forest for the first time, you must first extend the schema with the Adprep tool. Use the following procedure to apply Windows Server 2003 R2 schema extensions to the Active Directory schema.

To apply Windows Server 2003 R2 schema extensions to the Active Directory schema

1. Insert the second Windows Server 2003 R2 installation disc in the CD drive of the domain controller that holds the schema master operations role (also known as flexible single master operations (FSMO)).

2. Log on to the computer as a member of the Schema Admins group.

3. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

4. At the command prompt, type the following commands, substituting the drive letter of the CD drive for drive:

drive:

cd \cmpnents\R2\adprep

adprep /forestprep

Important:
      Be sure to use the version of adprep that is on Windows Server 2003 R2 Disc 2, not the version that is on Disc 1.

by bluelazer1337 ·

In reply to Reply To: Windows server 2003 R2 AD not compatible

This post saved me DAYS of work. I was trying to join a Windows Server 2003 R2 server to a domain controlled by a server running Windows Server 2000. I was running the ADPREP.EXE off of the first disc and not the second, so when I tried to add the 2k3 server as an ADC, I continued to recieve errors that the forest was no prepped. I was really perplexed as to why the executable wasn’t doing what I thought it should do. Had I not read this post, I would have probably ended up building the domain up from scratch!

Thanks!

Similar problem as original post.

by fgurnari ·

I have a similar configuration as mentioned in the first post. NT 4 Server with SP6 (BDC), 2003 Server with SP1 installed. I am attempting to add a 2003 server R2 machine to the domain. When I run adprep I receive the message ?Forest-wide information has already been updated. [Status/Consequence]Adprep did not attempt to rerun this operation.?
      I contacted MS for the updated adprep.exe in their hotfix which addresses this problem. Still no luck. When I attempt to install AD on the new R2 server I get a dialog box stating ?The Active Directory Installation Wizard cannot continue because the forest is not prepared for installing Windows server 2003. Use the Adprep command-line tool to prepare both the forest and domain. For more information about using Adprep, see Active Directory Help. The Version of Active Directory schema of the source forest is not compatible with the version of active directory on this computer.?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution

by richardmarkevans ·

In reply to Similar problem as original post.

Hi,

The answer to this one is that the adprep on disc 1 of Windows Server 2003 R2 is not the updated version.

You need to insert Disc 2 into the schema master (Current Domain Controller). Open a command prompt and navigate to \cmpnents\R2\adprep. Then run adprep /forestprep and this will update your AD to the R2 version.

This should work first time.

If you have added the new group policy management console to your domain you will also need to run
        adprep /domainprep /gpprep
        to update the domain group policy layout.

Cheers and good luck.

Going R2 route the first time

by elmmj ·

In reply to Solution

I am in the process of planning our upgrade from Windows 2000 AD to Windows 2003 AD. Can I skip to 2003-R2 without having extended schema from 2003-R1 first?

Solution: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917385

by sethumohan ·

SOlution:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917385

Error message when you run the Active
      Directory Installation Wizard: “The version of the Active Directory schema of the source forest is not compatible with the version of Active Directory on this computer”

response

by gailjm ·

Your current AD will run fine – you only have to do it once and ensure it replicates to all the DCs before continuing

by jon427 ·

In reply to response

IHave the same problem, 2 DC’s and Exchange 2003 in member server all running Windows 2003. Will this Adprep affect any settings in my Exchange 2003? Do i need upgrade anything on the Win 2003 member server?

Thanks for those who will reply….

by skamionek ·

In reply to Reply To: Windows server 2003 R2 AD not compatible

I also have a similar upgrade to do. I have 1 Windows 2003 R1 PDC, 1 Windows 2003 R1 AD server with Exchange 2003. I?m replacing the first box with a new server. I?m trying to work out the plan for the move and have been reading a lot about using the second disk of R2. My plan would be to be to do the ADPrep.exe from disk two of the R2 media on the first server. Next, verify the change to AD by checking HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters ObjectVersion=31. Next, on the third box do DCPromo.exe. Migrate the FISMO roles from the first server to the third server. Finally demote the first server and take offline.

Am I on the right track? Looking to do this soon.

Thanks

by victor_f ·

Thank you to all who contributed to the solution.

That Disc2 thing did the trick.

Viewing 6 reply threads