Question

Windows Server 2003 R2 Terminal Services CAL

By bennp ·
I need some helps in the area of terminal services in win server 2003 R2 for Remote Desktop Connection.

Currently I can access the server remotely using RDP from the 2 built-in licenses. I need to set up additional 3 more remote access for 3 more users. I purchased Microsoft Terminal Service User Access License (TS CAL) pack of 5 users.

I'm planning to install Terminal Services on our server. If i understand it correctly, i will have to install the open license that i purchased from Microsoft to activate the terminal server. Here are my questions:

1. Will i have a total of 7 Remote Desktop Connection then? (2 built-in + 5 purchased)
2. I understand that the built-in remote desktop connection is configured for administrative purpose. Will they "crash" if I install the user TS CAL license?
3. We are not running Active Directory (no domain controller) do i have to "Lock down" the terminal services as Microsoft recommended?

Many thanks!

Benny

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

In answer as you asked the questions

by OH Smeg In reply to Windows Server 2003 R2 Te ...

1. Will i have a total of 7 Remote Desktop Connection then? (2 built-in + 5 purchased)

Yes you will have 7 Connections available.

2. I understand that the built-in remote desktop connection is configured for administrative purpose. Will they "crash" if I install the user TS CAL license?

No they will not if you setup the system correctly.

3. We are not running Active Directory (no domain controller) do i have to "Lock down" the terminal services as Microsoft recommended?

Only if you want any form of Security. If you don't need any Security and are willing to allow anyone access to the Data on the server and hence LAN you don't need to do anything. But that isn't very clever.

Col

Collapse -

I take any good advices!!!

by bennp In reply to In answer as you asked th ...

Thanks OH Smeg!

On my question #2, any recommendations you can share so I won't do any things stupid and then have to go through the regret process? Thanks!

Collapse -

2 Different modes

by NetMan1958 In reply to Windows Server 2003 R2 Te ...

There are 2 different modes you can run TS under, Administrative and Application Server. To allow more than 2 simultaneous sessions, you will have to change it to application server mode and install the 5 license pack. At that point, only 5 simultaneous sessions will be possible.

Collapse -

More clarifications!!

by bennp In reply to 2 Different modes

Thanks NetMan1958,

More questions:
1. Once changed over to Application mode, what happens to the 2 built-in licenses?
2. I ordered a Windows Server 2003 R2 User TS CAL. But Microsoft eOpen shows the order as Windows Server 2008 User TS CAL. I was told by the software vendor that i can "downgrade" automatically from installing the 2008 TS CAL. Do you know if this is true?

Many thanks!

Collapse -

Answers

by NetMan1958 In reply to More clarifications!!

Technically, there are no "built-in" licenses when running in Remote Administration mode as it is really just remote desktop service that allows 2 simultaneous connections(and in fact you can only login if you are administrator or in the administrators group).

I don't know the answer to the question about using Server 2008 licenses.

Here is a link to an article that may help you:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc779334(WS.10).aspx

Collapse -

TSCAL Win Server 2008 installed as TS CAL 2003

by bennp In reply to Answers

Thanks NetMan1958!
It turns out that if one purchases additional TS CAL at this point, you will get TS CAL 2008 and they can be use as TS CAL for Win Server 2003 R2. I installed my licenses and they work great! Thanks for all your help!

Back to Networks Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)