Question

Windows Server 2003 Setup Guidelines.

By 1bn0 ·
I am setting up a single W2K3 server to replace a W2KPro workstation. The network has exceeded 10 users.

The server will host the accounting application and user folders.

A router currently provides DHCP and DNS from the ISP.

I am asking for a general outline of what my basic requirements are so I do not overlook anything or links to an existing reference.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

re: Windows Server 2003 Setup Guidelines.

by IT Pixel In reply to Windows Server 2003 Setup ...

I assume that you are going to be deploying Active Directory to manage the user accounts. As such, you should setup the server to provide DNS and DHCP, using a private IP address range. You can then configure the DNS server to forward any external requests to your ISP's DNS servers. It is never really a good idea to have all your computers Internet routable as this is a large security hole in your network. You should consider deploying a proxy server on your 2003 box and putting a firewall between your network and the router to provide a layer of security. Given your limited requirements specified above, I am unable to go into much further detail but am happy to answer specific questions.

Collapse -

Thank you. Just what I asked for!

by 1bn0 In reply to re: Windows Server 2003 S ...

That's basically the kind of advice I was looking for. Most of the information I have been trying to review is for a much more complicated network environment or directly contradicts each other.

The biggest security concern here is controlling access of the various users, so AD is one of the things I definitely want.

They also keep moving equipment around and I am tired of creating accounts on the various machines.

I have ordered two new desktops along with the server and want to set them up under AD from the start.

Collapse -

Also consider

by IC-IT In reply to Thank you. Just what I as ...

if you want to copy the local profiles into the new domain profiles. That allows all their old settings to be available.

Collapse -

Thank you! Things to remember and pitfalls to watch out for

by 1bn0 In reply to Also consider

are what I am looking for.

I have setup workgroup servers before and am currently working in an AD environment but have never had to set one up.

I had not considered the effect changing from a local to a domain profile would have.

Can I simply copy the local profile to the domain profile using the same process as copying a configured local profile to the Default user profile?

Other questions?

I have been reading several references.

My concerns are configuring DNS properly, Configuring DHCP and promoting to DC for Active directory and the order these should be done in.

Collapse -

You can do it that way

by IC-IT In reply to Thank you! Things to reme ...

I don't think it will copy the pst files though. USMT may be the way to go. Here is an older article with comments.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5206-6230-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=178085&start=0

You should be ok by configuring the DHCP first, then doing the DCPromo to kick in AD and set the DNS. After you reboot you will need to authorize the DHCP.

There are quite a few old hats in here that can give better advice on the tweaking, but I will try within my scope. ;-)

Collapse -

v

by khapre_p In reply to Windows Server 2003 Setup ...
Back to Networks Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)