General discussion

Windows Server 2003 to Linux

By juscelinoacevedo ·
Hello Everyone,

I currently run a Windows Server 2003 with Exchange Server 2003. The server has two hard drives as follows: (1) 20GB containing the operating system and (2) 60GB containing all of my important data. Both drives are NTFS and there is no RAID.

Here's my question. Can I install a distribution of Linux on the 20GB hard drive and be able to access the data from the 60GB hard drive? If yes, can I access that data from my Windows XP clients (assuming everything's configured correctly)?

Here are the answers to a few of the questions you may have: (1) I simply want to learn Linux for career advancement purposes. (2) I will be using either CentOS or Fedora Core for the simple fact that I feel semi-comfortable with them. (3) This will eventually be a Samba / Web / E-mail server (which is a different story in itself because I have to figure that piece out later). (4) Yes, it will actually be a production server eventually, however, only for myself not for a corporation. (5) That's it...

Any help would be truly appreciated. Thank you.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Alfz In reply to Windows Server 2003 to Li ...

Yes, you can mount an ntfs disk on linux.

Take a look here: http://www.linuxforum.com/linux_tutorials/1/1.php

Collapse -

by juscelinoacevedo In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by G... In reply to Windows Server 2003 to Li ...

There's a couple of catches here.
1. Linux can read NTFS but CANNOT write it. I don't know for CentOS but with fedora you may have to install the ntfs driver (It's not coming with the installations CDs) but just install the rpm.
2. Since it cannot write ntfs, you cannot install on a ntfs partition.
There's also the fact that nearly all the ntfs advantages (rights, quote,...) will be ignored.
For more about linux and ntfs try this http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html

There's
If I were you I'd back up it all now and make a fresh install (on formated drives). If you decide to go to linux http://www.2norvege.net/helpdesk/linuxhelp.htm can eventually help you for the install and config of your services.

One last thought. If you want to test your linux skills, you may want to try VMWare (vmware.com). This emulates a virtual computer. It's like running an OS as a program. Works really fine.

Collapse -

Collapse -

Collapse -

by juscelinoacevedo In reply to Windows Server 2003 to Li ...

This question was closed by the author

Collapse -

by juscelinoacevedo In reply to Windows Server 2003 to Li ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Linux Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)