windows server licensing

By ·
i don't understand windows licensing, after studing the microsoft site etc.

i bought a windows 2003 server with oem software with 5 users, my supplier tels me that users may log on local via rdp with the user licenses given with the windows software, but if you log on via www with rdp you need extra ts calls.

is this statement true ?

can yo log on with rdp to the server with 5 users simultaniously without ts service ?

or is there an other way to log on ?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

CALs and RDP seats are different

by akalinowski In reply to windows server licensing

you need CALs for any/all users that touch the server... those are different than RDP licenses, if you have windows XP pro as the client and the server is 2k3, then no RDP license is required regardless if he's in the same building or different country. now if you are using windows xp home or windows 2k or anything not xp pro then you need an RDP client license no matter where the user is coming from.
and again, you will need a Windows CAL no matter what for each user or device (depends how you buy them)
...btw device cals are usefull in a shift enviroment where you have 10 computers and 3 shifts for a total of 30 users, its cheaper to just buy the 10 cals, but if you have 10 users and say 10 computers and a 2 tablet pc's then its cheaper to by per user because one user can log onto his tablet and his desktop.

Collapse -


by In reply to CALs and RDP seats are di ...

i try to understand

if i log on tot ts with xp pro via ts with rdp the 5 user licenses which comes woth server 2003 are enough.

if i want to do the above with home editions i need ts calls

Collapse -

What it boils down to is...

by cmiller5400 In reply to summary

you should talk to a authorized reseller or the horses mouth (Microsoft). That way you are covered. From what I understand, for W2k3 you must have a TS cal to connect to a desktop session on it no matter what OS you are using. The only exception that I know of is for administrative purposes, i.e. console connections.

Collapse -

Licensing Overview for Windows Server 2003

Changes in Use Rights for Windows Server 2003

Microsoft is pleased to introduce new licensing options to address customer business needs and to complement the technical capabilities of our Windows Server 2003 products. This is part of a broad effort to improve the customer experience with licensing Microsoft software and our ongoing effort to make licensing more consistent, predictable, and flexible for our customers.

These new options are designed to provide customers with an enhanced ability to license Microsoft server products in a consistent manner across our product line. The new options will be particularly beneficial to those who seek user-based licensing, those who would like to provide server access to their end-customers or partners, or those who run solutions that leverage multiple Microsoft server products.

These changes to the Microsoft licensing program will first be available with the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 product release.

The Windows Server Licensing Model?Elements That Have Not Changed

Although there have been changes to the Windows Server 2003 licensing model, the following elements have not changed:

Every installed copy of the server software requires the purchase of a Windows server license.

A Windows Server 2003 Client Access License (Windows CAL) is required in order to access or use the server software.

A Windows CAL is not required if access to the server software is via the Internet and is "unauthenticated"?for example, accessing a Web site for general information where no identifying credentials are exchanged.

A Terminal Server Client Access License (TS CAL) is required for Standard Edition and Enterprise Edition to use Terminal Server or otherwise host a remote graphical user interface (GUI) session, except for a console session. In Windows 2000, there was an exception to this licensing requirement and that will change with this release, as outlined below.

A Terminal Server Client Access License (TS CAL) is required to use Terminal Server or otherwise host a remote graphical user interface (GUI) session, except for a console session. In Windows 2000, there was an exception to this licensing requirement and that will change with this release, as outlined below.

Changes to Windows Server 2003 Licensing

The following reflects changes to the Windows Server 2003 licensing requirements:

New user-based CAL. Microsoft is introducing a new type of Windows CAL. In addition to existing device-based CALs (Device CAL), a user-based CAL (User CAL) will be available for purchase. You can choose to purchase a Windows Device CAL for every device accessing your servers, or you can purchase a Windows User CAL for every named user accessing your servers. By having two types of Windows CALs, you are able to use the model that makes sense for your organization. For example, purchasing a Windows User CAL might make more sense if your company has a need for employees to have roaming access using multiple devices. Windows Device CALs may make more sense if your company has multiple-shift workers who share devices. Similarly, Terminal Server (TS) will offer both device-based and user-based CALs: TS Device CAL and TS User CAL.

New name for Per Seat licensing mode and expanded usage right. The two CAL licensing modes that exist in Windows 2000 Server still exist, but one of the modes has a new name: The Per Seat mode has been changed to the "Per Device or Per User" mode, and Windows User CALs can be applied. The name of the Per Server mode has not changed, and the rights associated with each of the modes have essentially not changed. Per Device or Per User mode is concerned with the total number of devices or users (or a combination of devices and users) accessing the server software across any number of servers, at any time. In this mode, you need a Windows CAL for every device or user that will be accessing Windows Server. In Per Device or Per User mode, only one Windows CAL is needed for any given device or user to access Windows Server, regardless of which servers it is accessing. Per Server mode is concerned with the number of concurrent connections to the server software. You need to purchase Windows CALs for the maximum number of simultaneous connections to that server. Any device or user can access the server, but the number of simultaneous access connections hitting the server at any given time must not exceed the number of Windows CALs designated to that server.

New External Connector License option. The new External Connector license (EC) can be purchased to enable access to your servers instead of buying individual Windows CALs for external users (or their devices). The EC license is purchased for every copy of the Windows server software that is accessible to the external user. An example of an external user is a person who is not an employee or similar personnel of the company or its affiliates.

Terminal Server will also introduce an EC license?the Terminal Server External Connector (TS-EC)?to address a similar need: to enable external users to access a company's terminal servers, without the need to purchase individual TS CALs for them or their devices.

Note: Companies can purchase Windows CALs.

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.
If this information is useful, please mark as helpful. Thanks.

Collapse -

microsofts information

by In reply to Licensing Overview for Wi ...

from what i experience from the microsoft websites is the adequate technical information about their products but licensing information is like we call in the dutch language looking for a tree in the forest, quite foggy.

Collapse -

M$ provide a Licensing & Pricing overview here

by OH Smeg Moderator In reply to microsofts information

But because M$ is very strict on their Licensing Policies you really need to contact M$ Licensing in your Country for the correct details. Some countries particularly in the EU have different Licensing Requirements to other places in the world because of the way that the EU Courts have dealt with M$ in the past.

If you look up M$ in your Country they have a Licensing Center of some kind where you can speak to a real person and get the Official M$ requirements today. In light of Legal Action these may change latter but if you comply with todays requirements there should be no problems unless you update or replace the Licenses and then you need to comply with the Licensing Requirements when you replace the existing product.

Of course if you don't like M$ Servicer Licensing Policies there is no requirement on you to use Windows Server you can use something else and not have th Licensing Costs involved with Windows. You'll probably have a more secure Server as well but you'll need someone who understands the OS you chose to use as a Server Product.


Related Discussions

Related Forums