Question

Windows Server Terminal Services 2003 - Printing

By fm21496 ·
Hello there,

My office has 2 Dell PowerEdge 2900 and a PE T300 Windows Terminal Servers 2003 SP2. The majority of the clients have winterm thin clients. They connect to the servers through RDP. Last week, the users started getting blank pages when printing. The stopped after I rebooted the servers, but came back I few days later. Users report they print blank pages regardless which application and printer they print to. We currently have 40 HP network printers. If you have seen this problem before, I would appreciate to hear from you. Thanks in advance for your help.

F.Maselli

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

A few things you need to think about

by NexS In reply to Windows Server Terminal S ...

1: Has this happened before? If not, what has changed between then and now?

2: Does it happen on all 40 of your printers, or just a few?

The possible reasons are huge without troubleshooting it down to only a few. So at this stage, it sounds like there's a problem with the particular printer type (assuming all 40 are exactly the same). So you could bring in a different type of printer and see if the problem persists.

Collapse -

Windows Server Terminal Services 2003 - Printing

by fm21496 In reply to A few things you need to ...

Thanks for the response. We have several HP models in my office. I checked all the printer drivers and couldn't find anything that looks wrong. By the way, do you think a AD policy could cause this problem? I'm asking this because everything was fine until last week. I have added any new printers to my office's network. Thanks again.

F.Maselli

Collapse -

so did you change AD policy last week?

by CG IT In reply to Windows Server Terminal S ...

blank pages [or garbled] sounds like driver problem and/or TCP port problem. if you create a TCP port for the printers, then recheck those properties, might want to delete the TCP port, create a new one with the appropriate port the printer uses and see if that fixes it for one workstation.

Collapse -

AD Policy

by fm21496 In reply to so did you change AD poli ...

I didn't. I need to check this with my corporate office. By the way, my assistant told me that most of the users who are experiencing this problem print to HP P4015n printers. I'll recreate the TCP ports to see if that fixes the problem. Thanks for your response.

F.Maselli

Collapse -

the port is important do a printer system info print

by CG IT In reply to AD Policy

will tell you what port the printer uses, which you specify in the TCP port printer properties [WinXP].

Collapse -

TCP Port

by fm21496 In reply to the port is important d ...

Thanks for the response. We use the standard 9100 TCP port. Should I change them to another port number? Let me know. Thanks.

F.Maselli

Collapse -

have to use the one the printer uses

by CG IT In reply to TCP Port

otherwise you get blank pages :)

the TCP port makes the connection to the print device but the TCP/IP port is where data is passed between comp and printer. wrong port=no data=blank pages.

Someone ought to know what TCP/IP port those printers use...if not just printout the printer system properties, that will tell you what port is uses.

Collapse -

Standard Port - 9100

by fm21496 In reply to Windows Server Terminal S ...

We use the standard port - 9100. Should I try another port number? Let me know. Thanks.

F.Maselli

Collapse -

9100 is the standard port

by wdewey In reply to Standard Port - 9100

HP uses 9100 for the standard port. I would not change this.

Do you print off of a print server? Were the blank pages coming from users on all three terminal servers? Did this affect every user on a server (or all servers) or were some still printing fine?

Bill

Collapse -

by fm21496 In reply to 9100 is the standard port

Thanks for the response. This problem affected all the users who print to our HP P4015n and HP 4250n printers, on the 3 terminal servers we have. The problem was fixed by rolling back the unidrv.dll file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\hewlett_packardhp_co045d. Thanks again.

F.Maselli

Back to Networks Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)