General discussion

Windows XP

By skiptomylou63 ·
Does anyone know how to get rid of a virus named sulfnbk.exe in Windows XP? I did have Windows 98 and would have gone to find files & folders,Don't know where to go in Windows XP. Help

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Windows XP

by JParade In reply to Windows XP

sulfnbk.exe is NOT a virus. It can be infected by a virus, most common recently with SirCam. It is a Windows file that is used to tanslate long filenames. Windows XP does not use this file. Hope this answers your question, JAKE

Collapse -

Windows XP

by skiptomylou63 In reply to Windows XP

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Windows XP

by TheChas In reply to Windows XP

Just to provide more detail;
sulfnbk.exe is a Windows program that is used to repair damaged long file names.
I believe the virus rumor got started because there is limited information when you check the properties of the file.

I haven't lookedfor it on my XP system.

To search for files in XP, you can open Windows Explorer, and click on the search icon in the toolbar. This will open up a search dialog in the left pane of the explorer window.
Note: XP does not open up a seperate window for file searches. To return to the normal explorer view, use the back button.

Collapse -

Windows XP

Collapse -

Windows XP

by mm212 In reply to Windows XP

That is a well-intentioned hoax. Here's the story:

Apparently someone received the Magistr virus by email. The attachment that carried it was named sulfnbk.exe. (These viruses grab a file randomly from your hard drive to include in the email.) They noticed the virus and assumed that whenever they see this filename it is always a virus. When you see it on your hard drive, it is most likely NOT a virus. If you see it as an attachment to an email it most likely IS a virus.

Sulfnbk.exe is actually Windows 9X's program to backup long filenames so you can execute a program that doesn't know how to handle LFNs and then the program allows you to restore them once the program is finished running.

Windows 2000/XP does not use this file so you wouldn't find it anyway.

Hope this clarifies things.

Collapse -

Windows XP

by mm212 In reply to Windows XP

Sorry, that's the SirCam virus, not the Magistr virus.

Collapse -

Windows XP

Collapse -

Windows XP

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)