General discussion

Windows XP and 2000 Updates

By luv2bike2 ·
I have (that I know of right now) 2 Windows XP and 2 Windows 2000 workstations that are having this particular problem.

Windows Automatic Updates on all 4 WS are set to : dowload updates, but let me choose when to install them (however i am not able to change that setting - it is grayed out-- tho not the main problem here) The problem is: 1) they have not performed the updates (on one 2000 WS the updates have not been updated since Jan 31, 2005 (yes 2005), one of the XP WS's has not been update since June 2005, the other XP WS has not been updated since Oct 2005.) when I go to Windows Update web page and click on express to search for updates, the green bar goes back and forth like it is searching, however, it will go on like that for over 20 minutes. I have stopped it and started it several times, i have rebooted they WS's, the XP WS's have SP2 and the 2000 WS's have SP4. 3 of the WS's are Dell systems and one is a no name. I have 2 other WS's that I just did updates on - one is an XP and the other is 2000 and had no problems, both of those are Dell systems. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks,

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Craig321 In reply to Windows XP and 2000 Updat ...

Is the Background Intelligent Transfer Service set to automatic as well and started on each machine? You can respond to me at cgesicki@yahoo.com

Collapse -

by luv2bike2 In reply to

thanks for all your help. this issue has been resolved.
The problem was Juniper NetScreen VPN/Firewall was not configured with the Workstations.

Collapse -

by ctrservices In reply to Windows XP and 2000 Updat ...

Perhaps the updates are corrupted.

Start?Run?type ?services.msc? (without quotes)open Automatic Updates properties?Stop the service (keep window open). Navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution?rename this file. Restart Automatic Updates.

Hopefully, the system will now correctly receive the needed updates.

Let us know what happens.

Collapse -

by luv2bike2 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Windows XP and 2000 Updat ...

Well if it was just from around mid 2005 it could very well be an Authorization Problem where your Product Keys are no longer being accepted by The Windows genuine Advantage or whatever they call it.

Does a message pop up on the screen when you log into Windows Updates that it's searching for the latest version of Update and confirming that you have such & such installed?

This is something that I had happen quite often with Volume License stuff after SP2 for XP was installed and then MS added a testing layer to the update site to prevent what they consider Pirate Copied being able to update.

If that's the case you'll need to grab the original install Cd's and ring MS for new Product Keys or if these are PreBuilt systems the maker to supply a new Windows Product Key.

Once you get the new Key you can use Key Finder to change the Product Keys much faster than MS way of doing it. It's available at

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

Col

Collapse -

by luv2bike2 In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by luv2bike2 In reply to Windows XP and 2000 Updat ...

I have try all of your suggestions and I am still having an issue. My next step is to call Dell up and hopefully work this out with them. I appreciate all of your answers. I am going to keep the question open until i get this resolve so that i can put the resolution in here for others.

Collapse -

by luv2bike2 In reply to Windows XP and 2000 Updat ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)