General discussion

Windows XP Pro fatal error stop c000021a

By drummerguy77 ·
I had a customer call me with a virus on his dell and i got there and removed the virus using a combination of virus removal software, ewido.net's online malware scanner, and advanced uninstaller pro. This virus called created some files called cssrss.exe and rpcc.exe. When I do to boot the system, I started getting Stop C000021A Fatal Error. Windows Logon Process Terminated Unexpectedly. (0x0000005, 0x0000005)

I checked the MS KB article and tried the steps with no results so I did an "in place upgrade" or a repair install of windows. The first time it booted after the install, everything worked just fine. I then powered off the pc and restarted and immediately got the stop error again. I then restart the pc in safe mode and it comes up fine, then do a restart and real mode comes up fine. I am able to work in windows normally, no issues at all. I then do a warm reboot and again it comes right up to the user chooser with no issues. I then try a cold reboot and it will get to the blueish screen that says windows is loading then go to a black screen then a BSOD with the same error. It is then repeat the process to get it to come up normally.

So I do not know what to do next. I feel like my only option left is to back up the user data and do a format and clean install. Please help!!!

CAsey

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

That would be a good idea probably

by Mr.Wiz In reply to Windows XP Pro fatal erro ...

also, next time you want to ask a question, please use the "Ask a Question" button instead of the "Start a Discussion" button.

Collapse -

I'll bet on re-install clean...

by taboga In reply to Windows XP Pro fatal erro ...

I've gotten to where I don't waste hours on end trying to clean a machine after a virus. Depending on the machine, a system restore point can sometimes resolve it. And if it doesn't -- you haven't wasted much time trying it. Other than that, I've found spending 3 or 4 hours copying data and reinstalling the OS clean -- is far less time consuming.

Collapse -

Its not a virus

by nlang In reply to I'll bet on re-install cl ...

This is a hotfix issue. I had downloaded and installed the latest fixes and received the same error message. This issue is within Microsoft's fixes. Only thing I can do is reinstall everything. There is nothing out there that will work to fix this... Knoppix article did not work for me.

All this software I lost because of microsoft

Back to Malware Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)