General discussion

Windows XP Pro vs Windows 2000 Pro

By singingintherain ·
I'm forced to upgrade (at home) from 98 SE to either Win XP Pro or Win 2000 Pro. Which one should I commit to?

I have a Home Tower...with AMD 1800XP, 512 Mb Ram,
ATI 7600 Dual monitor Video Card w/64 MB, Dial Up for now but Cable (only choice here) soon.

I do Financial/Technical Analysis as a hobby, connect to a broker (the reason for this upgrade)
and may network 1 more computer in later. I'm really away from DOS (but like Fred Langa's DOS
ToolKit/Rescue CD aticles and techniques). I'm not invested in many older programs

Both of the Windows O/S will be obsolete in 2008
or so, I'm told, Win XP still has lockup problems,
they say, Win 2000 is mature and the most stable, I've read......What to do? What to do?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

my take on it

by apotheon In reply to Windows XP Pro vs Windows ...

If you're going to be using the system as a game machine for the next few years, you might want to use XP. If you're really worried about Microsoft supporting the OS for more than the next few months, you might want to look into XP.

If those two issues aren't important to you, I recommend 2k. It's not only more mature: it's also better designed. Win2k is the most secure, stable OS that Microsoft has produced in years. It's basically the only Microsoft OS that I have any interest in using at all, though even Win2k takes a back seat to Linux for me.

For financial analysis and the like, you certainly don't need anything other than Win2k. In fact, Win2k is quite the best-suited Windows OS for that sort of thing. Also, if you use Windows 2000 Pro with its Service Pack 2, you won't have the EULAs that come with later service packs and later Windows versions. The later EULAs are absurdly restrictive, and to be avoided when possible.

Generally speaking, though, Win2k is the better all-around OS. I wouldn't recommend using WinXP unless there's a specific reason that it's the OS you need.

Collapse -

Windows 2000!

by dafe2 In reply to Windows XP Pro vs Windows ...

"I'm told, Win XP still has lockup problems,
they say, Win 2000 is mature and the most stable"

IMO the first line is incorrect or exagerated, the second is true. (I'm sure you know what they say about opinions to.)

If it where me I'd go to Windows 2000. Although your system will adequately handle Windows XP, I sense you use your system "lightly". By this I mean you turn it on, do your thing & move on. No video editing, gaming or "tweaking". At least you don't mention it.

Win2K is the more "Elegant" of the 2 Operating Systems. Both are stable and offer security features. Windows XP, to me, and by default is busy & childish LOOKING. It takes a lot of effort to "clean it up".

You also mention cable modem & connecting to a broker, I assume here that the Brokerage will supply the security & is pushing/supporting either OS. The Windows XP Firewall offers no advantage in your case & is useless anyway. (These types of "Firewalls" are useless anyway, use hardware solutions)

In the long run, you'll end up with a new system before Microsoft stops supporting WIN2K. At that point you'll end up with an XP Operating System anyway. You can ask the supplier of your new machine to "clean it up" for you.

In the event that I'm wrong and you enjoy (for some reason) spending hours tweaking Operating Systems and not portfolios (laugh), then by all means, XP is for you.

Incidently, I use XP myself and will tell anyone who will listen how anoying it was to "clean it up."

Collapse -

I've been condemned, I tell ya.

by apotheon In reply to Windows 2000!

I have to install XP on the 2k system I maintain so that I'll have a Windows system running for work. I'm going to be doing some programming for some projects the consultancy has, and the software is going to have to be deployed on XP. The boss wants me to develop and test in the exact same environment in which it's going to be deployed (or as close as possible).

That means I'm switching from 2k to XP. Egad. This is going to suck rocks. He's probably even going to ask me to design and test with the default Fisher-Price Widget Set that XP uses.

I could just scream. . . .

Collapse -

Fisher Price

by dafe2 In reply to I've been condemned, I te ...

That's not the worst of it (In your case) because you see, Windows 2000 was a great clean Tonka toy. When the Fisher-Price crowd re-designed the toy, not only did they give it a new face and bunch of needless services which startup automatically (needed or not), they also renamed & relocated every toolset & dialogue box for some reason.

I feel for you & hope your boss is not some kind of sadist or something. There's no technical reason that I know of for all that splash & dash crap.

Yup......in this case it sucks to be you. Eat a good breakfast. It's a good start to a healthy day as they say. You'll be less cranky.

Fisher-Price Widget Set?
Hope you don't mind if I borrow that one?

Collapse -

XP reorganization

by apotheon In reply to Fisher Price

"not only did they give it a new face and bunch of needless services which startup automatically (needed or not), they also renamed & relocated every toolset & dialogue box for some reason."

Yeah, I know it. I dread this OS switch. I'll be trying even harder to avoid using that computer, now. Unfortunately, with the programming I'm going to have to do for these projects I'll have to use that computer a lot, I think.

What really gets me is that the default arrangement of services' interfaces changes from one installation to another. I've literally had to look for the same default service in three or four different places on XP machines in the same office. Somebody in Redmond must be smoking crack.

"Fisher-Price Widget Set?
"Hope you don't mind if I borrow that one?"

Be my guest. I borrowed it, too. Alas, I don't remember where I first heard/saw it.

Collapse -

See your already

by dafe2 In reply to XP reorganization

I see it already has you up it arms:

My quote:
Eat a good breakfast. It's a good start to a healthy day as they say. You'll be less cranky.

Isn't that part of the "Kellogg Froot-Loop" commercial or something?

**My (feeble) attempt at humour

Collapse -

Bah

by apotheon In reply to See your already

humbug.

. . . heh.

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums